1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Dive on Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kommando84, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kommando84

kommando84

Oct 10, 2007
    I just bought a Fender Jaguar bass and love everything about it...except for the slight neck dive. I thought adding small weights in the electronics cavity would help, but the cavity is too small for that. Would adding a replacement bridge give me the added ounces to balance this thing out?

I've also heard of replacing the machine heads with lighter ones, but I am having a hard time figuring out what product would be a 1 to 1 tradeout for the ambiguously-named "vintage style" machines that come stock.

If possible, could you provide brand names and/or models when making suggestions, since I find some of the websites for these products confusing or unclear when I surf them myself?

2. hey, i put a Badass Bridge and a ashtray bridge cover big enough for a BA bridge on my jag, and theres no way that'll nosedrive.
    id say a hi-mass bridge like a Bad Ass II will do the trick
    :)

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    And if you don't want to go the bridge route (which would probably work just fine) you could switch out your "vintage" tuners for the Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners.

Just make sure you compare the dimensions of the Hipshots to the size of the existing peghead holes in your bass so you'll know if it needs modification for a proper fit.

4. kommando84

kommando84

Oct 10, 2007
    Thanks everybody! I kind of figured the Badass Bridge was the way to go, but I was nervous about just getting one and hoping it was heavy enough. It seems like a cheaper route to go than the Hipshots.

Did the Badass change your tone any DosiYanarchy?

5. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    On the SX jaguar body the strap button on the horn is the perfect center of gravity, with no dive, at least on the short scale. Maybe it's the same on the Fender? Then a strap that hangs the whole bass on the horn, and only captures the bridge strap button to keep it from swinginmg should work ...

6. Here's a trick for you: add a Jazz or Precision bass bridge cover and stick some adhesive tire weights on its underside. you'll get a cool vintage look and can adjust the weight to that you have just enough to do the trick. I think a Jazz bass cover would look great on a Jag.

Here's what I did to my '54 P clone from Turser:

PB220355.

PB220354.

7. kommando84

kommando84

Oct 10, 2007
    Thanks for the tip! I might give that a try if my other steps don't take care of the problem first. I'm doing the incremental approach:

1) I decided to go with a Gotoh 201 instead of Badass II because I had read reviews that BAII adds a lot of trebly response, and I prefer a deeper sound; plus the stock bridge allows the strings to move around too much

2) If that doesn't solve it, I'll add Hipshot Ultralights to the headstock; same as above, the stock ones aren't smooth at all, so they probably need replacement anyway

3) If both of those don't work, or if I just get bitten by that bug, I'll try the bridge cover; I'm a bit leery about drilling into the body to install the cover, though...

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The BAII weighs a LOT more than the Gotoh, which is the reason you would use it to reduce neck dive in the first place. A slight adjustment to the tone knob will take care extra treble you may find undesirable. The BA II plus ultralite tuners if the BA doesn't quite do it would be the way I'd go.

9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    +1 on the Ultralites.

10. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    +2 on the Ultralites. Buy the LARGE POST, "Y" button version. If and when the bass goes up for sale, the original tuners will cover up the extra hole you need for the HipShots. Highly recommended....1st quality machines.

11. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    It's so funny how everyone who buys a Jag always wants to modify the heck out of it!!!
    Something about all the gizmos on it already maybe?

I put a Gotoh 201 on mine and really like it. That's about all I've actually done to the jag. The weight is pretty balanced for me.

Can anyone verifiably say that the BAII has more treble than the Gotoh 201? I think I smell an urban legend...

12. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    Hey i have a p bass that i have modified a lot. I like the tone, but i dont think it gets the growl and grit, plus it doesnt have very good slap tone. Do you guys think a Jaguar would be the way to go? Or should i go with the Jazz?

13. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    Are you talking MIA or Chinese? Fretless or fretted? If Chinese, you can buy several and try, but if MIA, you might want to be a little more specific about the shortcomings before you throw money at a problem you don't fully define. What exactly is wrong with the tone? Why would a different instrument sound right?

I would suggest different strings, that's 80% of your tone. If you want zingy slap, go Rotosound 66. Rotosounds will generally keep ya busy for a while :D.

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    A Jaguar and a Jazz are very similar except the Jaguar has actives and the standard Jazz doesn't. You can play the Jaguar in passive mode and it is essentially a Jazz. What you lose is the seperate volume controls on the pups. You have on/off switches and a master volume instead.

15. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I don't really play my jag in my lap as that is the only place I notice neck dive and I have a P neck with big old hipshot classic tunes and a De-tuner!

BUT if you really want to try and balance it out

I say get thee to hipshot.

+1 on the ultralites

and also get a brass B-style bridge.

16. kommando84

kommando84

Oct 10, 2007
    So I got the Gotoh and the Ultralite tuners and went to my good friend and luthier to get them installed. First, the hipshot guy sent me the wrong size of tuners, which we found out when I got the stock ones off the headstock.

Second, my luthier was FAR more impressed with the Squier VM Jazz bass I brought along (it was humming a bit more than usual, and what do you know, we found out the bridge grounding wire had slipped a bit). He told me that I would do better to just put some DiMarzio Model Js into the Jazz bass and get my money back on the Jaguar.

After thinking it over, and after considering all of the trials I'd been going through to fix the neck dive, I decided to follow his advice and returned the Jaguar.

I'd always had a real fondness for the color and feel of the Squier VM anyway, so I was happy to hear that I wasn't just delusional. I preferred the satin feel of the neck to the upgraded American Standard anyway, and the addition of the Model Js should really make this thing a quality piece to play.

Do you think it's worth sticking the Gotoh bridge on the Jazz now that it's not going on the Jag after all?:bassist:

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow, all this hubris over something that may have been fixed easily with a wider strap... :meh:

18. Hubris?

Hubris = Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance.

Methinks you used the wrong term.

Perhaps: "kerfluffle"? "sturm und drang"?

19. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Sorry but this just don't make any sense to me!!

Why add weight to your bass when you can subtract??

My suggestion is: Take off the heavy and obsolete Fender tuning machines and install the ultralites! They're the best solution for neck dive problem!

You won't regret!

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yeah, my bad, I probably meant "hub bub". But I am quite fond of kerfluffle...that's real real nice! :)