Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck dive on thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cmaenterp, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Cmaenterp

Cmaenterp

Jan 21, 2006
    Hello again everyone,
    Im still bouncing back and forth between the epiphone thunderbird and the ibanez iceman and i have another question. Its about the neck dive that everyone talks about, does it make the bass any harder to play and is it awkward to play or anything?
    Thanks again

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I find that they do suffer from neckdive problems...but it doesn't "put me off" as such since they're really not suited to my playing anway (I do a lot of slap and tap and like to wear my bass high like Mark King).

That said, even if the bass is great for you sound and looks wise, it could end up being a chore to play, you want your left hand to be free, not propping up a droopy neck!

3. gaffster

gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    florida
    i just put a black schaller locking button down into the body, parallel to the neck. Screw went in between the neck plate screws that are coming in from the back. Trimmed a bit of the side of the strap leather. Now the neck does not feel heavy at all. The reach is a bit more than most basses to get down to the lower frets (consideration if you have shorter arms), but that is offset in my opinion by the over-all playability.

I also saw how someone put a strap button right down on one of the neck plate screws, so no new holes.

This thing plays like a racehorse, you know it even looks like a race horse with that headstock. I never seem to have to tune it more than a bit. As i mentioned in a earlier post, you have to mess around alot to get good clarity, but i have to compete with all these thunderstorms and hurricanes down here in Florida...

4. Slapped

Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    The easiest way to remedy that is to re-locate the neck strap button to the neck hinge.