Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck dive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by malaise, Dec 29, 2004.

1. malaise

malaise

May 28, 2004
    hello I have a Epiphone Thunderbird IV and I have read that to solve the neck dive problem I have to put a new schaller straplock just behind of the neck like the image
    http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/pics/button.jpg

but I have fear to hurt the wood drilling it to put the schaller
    can anybody tell me if it is safe? to drill a hole in this position? like the image shows.

thanks

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    What I did with mine was put a new strap button on the neck plate. :confused: I took the screw out of the top neck plate. Had to drill the new strap button(make it a little wider), so the screw would fit back.

Thats the best I can explane it. If i could post a pic of it I would.
    I saw that pic before and I didn't like that Idea either.

3. malaise

malaise

May 28, 2004
    thanks for your reply but I still have doubts about if this method do not hurt also the wood or the neck :crying:
    please can you put a pic from the plate and the strap button?
    thanks a lot .

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, neck dive is a non-issue. If you're playing the bass your left hand should be on the neck & your right wrist should be leaning against the body.

I've owned a Thunderbord for a little while & it did neck dive but only when I wasen't playing it. :)

5. Malaise, cmon, what do you mean "hurt the wood"? :confused:

That's just wood there.
    - It's NOT the neck
    - It's not close enough to the neck for ANYTHING to touch the neck
    - There's nothing underneath it but body wood
    - There's nothing behind it but body wood
    - There's nothing to get in the way
    - You can't install a strap button without drilling and sinking a screw somewhere
    - Drilling a hole and sinking a screw is EXACTLY how the factory would do it if they did it
    - The installation of the strap button there is clean, hidden, and solves the dive problem
    - Installation of strap buttons usually doesn't alter an instruments value.
    - It's a simple installation that even a novice can do correctly

In short, stop being "afraid" of things on your instrument. This is not rocket science and the objects you are working with aren't precise little jewels of technology that can be knocked out of whack with a crosseyed look. The body, neck and hardware on basses is essentially the same as it was when Uncle Leo thought it up way back in 1951. They are simple and they are tough and there is very little you can do to truly mess one up short of sheer destruction.

Just relax and get on with it and be assured that it's OK to do it.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fine for you, I suppose, but I'd certainly suffer from having to hold the bass in position while I played!

In my work to advance on the instrument, I've concentrated on not needing to anchor on anything - especially for my left hand to be free to smoothly float between positions.

Neck-dive would be a real problem for me. I do get 'neck-creep' sometimes, though, and have to shove the neck back up once ina while.

Joe

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HE'S MY UNCLE!!!!!!!! :eek:

:D

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Predrill using a bit with a slightly smaller diameter than the strap button screw.

Just know that moving the button will help, but won't prevent neck dive. Diving is what Thunderbird necks do.

9. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Hey guys, I got an epiphone goth thunderbird and i didnt mind the neck dive but after a few times of the strap coming off cause of where the strap pins are placed on the bass(upper horn), i just replaced them with schaller strap locks and now i elimenated 2 things: the strap obviously doesn't come off anymore and I fixed the neck dive. Don't even need to place them at the back of the neck just get some schaller strap locks and install them at the xact same place as the originals you wont have neck dive no more. BTW I hang my bass super low.

10. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    If your that worried about drilling a hole , leave the tools alone and go with the strap button on the neck plate. it's obviously above your ability. Be smart.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    then the t-bird might just be the wrong bass for you.

like all too many gibsons, that thing was designed to look cool, with little thought given to how it actually hangs on the player.

moving the strap button to one of the neck plate screws, or even to that spot on top of the body like in the picture, will help a little. the further towards the neck you can get the front of the strap, the better it will hang.

hell, nikki sixx has to bolt a little bracket behind the bridge of his t-birds to hook his pinky through to keep them from neck-diving.

12. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    hell, nikki sixx has to bolt a little bracket behind the bridge of his t-birds to hook his pinky through to keep them from neck-diving.

Sixx is a pick player and he uses the optigrab is to anchor his hand.

I have a few Gibson basses. I never feel like I'm holding the bass up while playing any of them. they don't neck dive any more than my Ric or my son's MIM Jazz.

13. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I put my straplocks in these locations on all of my Gibson and Epiphone birds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TreeTheStudly

TreeTheStudly

Apr 30, 2011
    malaise, you're getting a lot of opinions from people on here and I hope that it's helping you out.

I can't really say too much that hasn't already been said.
    However, I would like to tell you that drilling a hole into a guitar is not an especially hard task.

It can turn out wrong, like anything can, but most likely won't.
    If you do plan on operating a drill and making a new hole for your strap button, I would recommend taking a few precautions.

First, make sure that you take off the neck of your T-Bird. I know that it sucks because you'll have to restring it, but it will be worth it. Not only will you have significantly less weight and size to work with, but it will also put the neck out of harms way. That way, if the drill does get out of hand even slightly, you will not ding the neck in any way.

Second, be sure that the body is anchored well and you have plenty of room to comfortably drill. If the body were laying on its back or front, it would be quite hard to drill accurately. Ideally, the body would be standing up on its end with the flat surface that you will be drilling into completely parallel to your working surface. Obviously this is hard to safely achieve with limited tools and whatnot, but it is something you should strive for when drilling.

It can be an easy and painless process and I drill holes into guitars all of the time without any catastrophic, wood-ruining results.

I'm not sure if everyone will agree with me on this one, but if you do mess up with a drilled hole and make it too big, you don't have to worry because you can always just shove a toothpick into the hole in order to make the desired screw stick into the guitar once again. It is kind of a poor-man's fix, I believe, but it works well for me.

Best of luck to you, malaise.

15. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Given that the OP was almost 4 years ago, I doubt that helpful suggestions are of much value now.

Then again, I'm still waiting for a response from Mr. Claus. It's been over 20 years now - nada!

16. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    I think you're missing the point of Talkbass. All these tips could help other folks who are researching the problem.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yes, but crap, zombie thread tricks me into responding directly to the OP again! :atoz: