Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Dive Troubles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Red701, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    first off, im sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find an accurate answer to my question.i own a Tbird 4 and as many of you know, the neck dive on this thing is crazy. i understand that this is due to both the heavy neck, and the lack of extension on top of the body so the strap button is badly placed. i heard that reposition the strap botton helps but where do i move it too? also, could i get one of the screw on extensions that they use for those flying V guitars to put the strap on? thanks for you help

2. you can move the strap button, but you won't alleviate the problem entirely, likely until you either buy or make a strap extension arm. if you go to the G&L forum there was somebody there making them which you could likely modify. or, just buy some flat aluminum, trace out a design you want/like, cut it and buff it up and attach it to the neck bolts. just make sure the extension reaches to about the 12 fret marker and you're on your way.

3. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    thanks

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe a wide padded strap would help.

5. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    or maby if i put suction cups on my strap! or some other sort of slide-resitant rubber surface. that might hurt alot though

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I played a thunderbird bass once, I had to play sitting down, holding the bass with my right arm. Because, as you say, it wasn't very balanced on a strap.