Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbass, Sep 6, 2002.

1. mbass

mbass

Sep 6, 2002
    Canada
    Hi I just signed up and hope someone can help me.

I have a Warwick 5 string fretless bolt-on thumb bass. The neck is so heavy (body light and small) that it slides downward, and I have to use my fretting hand to hold it up, Not good.

Is there any method or strap that will help? I,m using a neoprene strap as it slides less on my shoulder than a leather one, but does not solve the problem.

I could always get a 4 string which should have a lighter neck, but that would be more dough, has any one found this to be a problem with the 4 string?

2. Do a search on neck dive.
    The the thumb bass has that problem as a trade mark.

Different strap, light weight tuner, strap locks have all come up before. I think it comes down to the user. I sold my BO 4 because I couldn't deal with it any more, some can

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Another one. Neck dive=anything with a wenge neck IME.

Go to the thread on straps. No need to find out if you have it. Now you need to deal with it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My MTD 635 has a Wenge neck, a big one, but I use a 3" wide Levy's leather strap and it stays where I put it. Every time.

I'm not saying it's magic but it sure as heck seems to work. Maybe I'll find a nylon strap and see if it dives.

5. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    you may not want to do it, but ive found lowering the height of the strap (so the bass is lower) helps with neck dive

but i cant speak for all basses

i personally use my strap up as high as it goes and have to hold my bass a small amount (i dont have a warwick)

welp there my advice enjoy

6. Yeah, I think RyKnow uses a big Levy's leather strap with his NT, but still. He also doesn't wear a shirt.

7. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I used to have Thumb 5 and I put another strap on just above the jack that would wrap around my waist, worked perfectly

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My NYC Empire dives when I use a normal strap but I started using a Comfort Strapp brand strap and it completely stopped the dive. It stays in place by itself with the strap. The strap is also more comfortable because the bass is pretty heavy too.

brad cook