Neck Dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a MIA Jazz Deluxe that looks and sounds great but has a problem with neck dive. I find myself constantly aware of the neck slipping while playing and it becomes a distraction during gigs. Several years ago during a gig and in an intense moment, I felt a sharp pain in my upper left arm......I'm right handed... and I couldn't hold my bass up for the next 6 months. I was playing this jazz. I don't know if the injury had a correlation with constantly holding the neck up but not being able to play scared me.

Can anything be done to help with this problem?
  2. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You can reposition the body strap pin upwards (towards E string) to change the balance some and/or you can change the tuners to lighter tuners such as Hipshot ultralights. There may also be a strap still in existence that helps with this.
  3. personally i havnt experienced neck dive on a fender jazz, but i havnt played many fender jazzs... anyway, you could replace the tuners with Hipshot Ultralite's and/or buy one of those neoprene 3" straps, that should sort it. The tuners, will make the neck lighter and the strap will stop it from slipping so much in the first place, neither are amazingly expensive, and both are simple to do. (though im not sure if the routing is right for the hipshots, some expert will need to tell you about that!)
    hope that helps a bit!