Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Feel of Stingray 5 vs. 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I got a little mixed-up with the measurements of the Stingray 5 vs. the 55-02. The 55-02 has a thinner neck, right?

Also, does anyone know the string spacing of either of these? Which is wider?

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    55-02 has wider string spacing (3/4" at the bridge)... don't remember the exact measurement, but the SR5's string spacing is narrower.

3. Yep, the 55-02 is definately wider at the bridge, and maybe a touch wider at the nut. I'm not sure which is deeper front to back, though they're both what I'd call "medium" in the sense that they're no really noticably shallow or deep.

The finishes are a little different. The SR5 has an oil and wax finish while the 55-02 has a satin lacquer (poly?) finish that's smoother but less "warm and woody" feeling than the oil and wax.

Mike

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Are there any basses with a thinner neck and the same string spacing?

5. Thinner than what, and with the same string spacing as what? By thinner, do you mean thinner front to back or side to side?

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Same string spacing as the 55-02, but a smaller neck radius.

7. If you mean the depth front to back, the first one that comes to mind is a Zon 519, which is fairly shallow but has full 3/4" string spacing. Also, any of the MTD models from the Kingston on up will have an assymmetric contour that's really shallow on the treble side, and those have the wide spacing as well.

Mike

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How does the asymetric contour affect the sound? Is it possible to do the SD Basslines MM replacement system with a Kingston? Are you aware that you are my new best friend?

9. I wouldn't think it has a noticable impact on the sound, but it does give a nice slim feel to the neck without taking away too much mass.

The preamp should be no problem. The pickups are a different story--the 4 string uses a standard MM-size pickup, but the 5 uses a wide MM style with tabs similar to what the Lakland uses. You'd have to check as see whether Duncan sells that pickup separately. I've heard the Kingston pickup itself is pretty good, though.

Glad to be of help!

Mike

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    So I would have to get a pickup custom made if I wanted to make it active?

11. Nope, just install one of the many preamps out there--SD Basslines, Bartolini, Aguilar, EMG, etc. Those will all work fine with the stock pickup. Also, there are now active versions of the Kingston available.

Mike