Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Fender Neck, action issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChristineMFer, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    I just got a replacement neck installed on my fender p-bass. The neck is an official p replacement neck from fender. My luthier replaced the neck and made the appropriate adjustments to the bass. After playing the bass for one 1 hour, I noticed the action had risen, and by the next day the action was so high it was unplayable.

After that happened I had my husband set up the neck again. (not wanting to take it back to the shop because they take forever and I had already waited 3 months for fender to send me a replacement neck) He did an ok job, but the action is still not as low as I would prefer. The neck adjustment is set correctly and I’ve lowered the saddles as much as I can. At this point I’m at a loss. The nut height seems to be relatively high, but I don’t know for sure because I’m unsure of the correct measurements. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

When you got the bass back from the original set up, was it too high at that time? Even before the action 'rose'? I know you said that the neck adjustment is correct, but...check the neck relief again, just to make sure it's right. While you're at it, check the neck joint. Make sure the screws are tight. If those things are correct, I'm guessing you may need to shim the neck to fix this...

3. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    When I got the bass back, (after the orginal setup) the action was still high. I have double checked the neck relief. Also, the neck screws are tight. I have already tried a slanted shim (at the rear of the neck joint.) that didn't work,all the fret's buzzed above the 12th fret, although the action was much better. I was thinking about putting in a shim that covered the length of the entire neck, not just at the rear of the neck.

4. The shim should be at the "body" end of the neck pocket rather than the "headstock" end. I don't think I'd use a slanted shim; use one thickness of aluminum can or one thickness of business card. By "slanted" I assume you mean thicker at one end than the other...from what I infer, I'd say it was probably too thick.

5. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    the shim was at the body end. sorry, shouldn't have used the word "slanted". the shim i used was about the thickness of a plastic bus. card.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, odd...you may want to try to raise the level of the neck overall with a 'flat' shim as a spacer to see if that does anything. I'd also drop a line to Hambone here...I bet he'd have a better handle on the situation and how to fix it. I know people who have ground down or found replacement saddles that are lower profile as well.

7. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    Does the neck hold a set amount of relief? Yes

If the action rose as you played it, I suspect the neck was perhaps still adjusting to the tension of the strings.

It's a brand new replacement neck from fender.

I took the shim out of the bass. Now I'm not getting any fret buzz, but the action is still high, and uncomfortable for me. BTW I noticed that my bass tone wasn't as good with the shim. Night and Day, glad I took that bus card out of the neck pocket.

What next?

8. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    If everything was done properly I suggest taking the neck back. You could have a serious trussrod issue. Maybe get a Warmoth neck instead.

9. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the tips guys. I adjusted the neck last night (put shim in, didn't like it, took shim out, lowered saddles), then went to band practice. After practice, I noticed the action had risen again. I didn't check out the neck relief though. I'll look at it again tonight.

It could just be that the neck needs to have constant tension for an extended period of time before the neck is ready to play? maybe the wood isn't seasoned enough??

I have to say I'm really disappointed in Fender. This is a crappy replacement neck.

ElDave, I ordered a J replacement neck from warmoth earlier this week :) It'll be 2 months before I get the neck though.

10. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Good to hear. I ordered a J neck from them once it has a rosewood fretboard with the old style (small) frets, Pearloid block inlays and pearloid binding. Not one problem with it and it's three years old now.

11. Got to take issue with this first statement - for clarity...

If the action rose as you played the bass then the neck relief was changing too. It had to be that way unless the neck or bridge was coming loose from the body.

Shims should only be used on a stable neck when it's determined that it cannot be mounted in such a way as to allow the bridge saddles to be lowered enough for proper string height. You shouldn't use a shim on a neck that is in flux because you won't ever know exactly where and how to make the right adustment to get the geometry straight if the shim is there clouding up the results.

It sounds to me like the neck is still settling down.

What series of P is this - MIA, MIM, MIJ, MIK, Squier? and why did you need a replacement anyway?

12. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    It's an american p bass. The orginal neck warped so fender replaced the neck for free since the bass was still under warrenty.

I played the bass all weekend and the action has not risen. Maybe the neck is just settling in. I've had a few people tell me they've experienced this sort of thing with new necks.

13. Good, I'm glad. It sounds like it's settling down. The others are right - this will happen the first time a neck gets used. If you think about it, a neck will have been on a bass and under tension for months before you get it so it's well settled by that time. They went out and picked a fresh one for you so it's still a little green! :D