1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Finish Cracks!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sundown1206, May 11, 2011.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a Status Graphite Jazz replacement neck and it now has many cracks all over the back of the headstock. I just need suggestions on how to fix it or remedy it somehow. The Carbon Fibers are fine. The neck still plays well and is straight. And the cracks don't get in the way when playing as they aren't anywhere where your left hand would go. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Do the cracks generate from the tuners? In other words, does it appear that they begin from the hole the tuners are in & are they limited to that area? -=Pics needed=- Graphite should not be cracking. However, if they generate from the holes of the tuners and are surface cracks they may be "finish cracks" and won't impede the integrity or strength of the headstock. However that shouldn't happen as he holes are drilled very small and expanded with larger drills, etc.

Do any other cracks exist anywhere on the neck? Is this a new neck and can it be returned?

3. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    The cracks are coming from the tuner screw holes. Cracks are only on the back of the headstock. Not the front, not the board, not the back of the neck. It can't be returned. My ex dropped it over a year ago -_-

4. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Some graphite necks have a surface finish on them. It's brittle and can crack in that manner if shock shifts the screws, etc. I don't know they can be buffed out as I believe the surface is differentiated from the mass of the unit. But you might have some luck if you're willing to go to that extent. You would need to strip the tuners from the neck, using a clean buffing wheel mounted on about a one horse px or greater motor and gently buff in one direction only. That would maintain the finish as you would start very gently with a sweeping stroke (one direct and limit it only to the back of the head stock)..... It's a lot of work for small finish cracks; it doesn't sound like it's f-ed up.
    Graphite necks are generally not "raw" they often have a surfacing on them. If it's Urethane; you could buff them out.

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    They definitely are long though. They go from end to end on the headstock. But They stop at the carbon fiber thats for sure. I know the fibers are fine its strictly the finish. I'm a noob when it comes to buffing and all that stuff though. But from what I can see, the finish is cracked to where it's lifting up from the headstock. Proof, on status necks on the back of the headstock there is a little tag that says made in england, under the finish. It looks partly white. When I push against it it turns black. That means air is getting under there. Correct? Seems eventually itll just chip off. Buffing wont remove the cracks unless I buff the entire finish off the back.

6. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Yea....I didn't realize it was that bad. IF it was me; I would look into using "super-glue" as a sealer. It works, it is simple and cost effective There was another thread with some links to working with it for the 1st time: I'll find it and post it up here.
    Basically you just have to be neat and tape off the EDGES all around the head stock and a clean line at the back of the neck. You obviously could use a polymer but it could also crack - it's not nearly as strong as a cryn-type glue used as a finish. A few drops now to hold any peeling down would be a good idea. Do that under pressure. In other words use some manner of pressure on the areas that appear to be peeling up when gluing. It must have really got whacked. Here is one with wood & the basics:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/article/superglue-savior/jun-06/20674
    here's more:
    http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=47955
    http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-475708.html
    http://straightrazorplace.com/workshop/64054-ca-super-glue-finishing-hints-tips.html

I have personally used it. You want to work with viscosity of the glue (the standard glue) as it comes is thin; thicker viscosity samples for wood finishing exist in wood finishing place like WOODCRAFTERS. The thicker stuff may be easier to work with in the situation you have there.
    Good luck; take your time, it's likely to work well.

7. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I appreciate that man. Yeah my ex dropped it flat on it's back. On purpose.