1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck finish ideas

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dubraw-Luthier, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Dubraw-Luthier

Dubraw-Luthier

Mar 9, 2010
    I know this is talkBASS.com and not guitar, but i'm working on a fender strat, i just bought a new all maple neck for it, and i was contemplating different ways to finish it. I was thinking about a vintage stain then put a gun stock oil on it, but i have a few questions about it. one is will the gun stock oil change the color of the finish at all. I would assume yes and i would assume that it gets darker. Second I was thinking i wanted to put a cyano finish on the fret board. If i were to do this would i look odd with a gun stock on back.

So to rephrase the entire thread. I have a maple neck, i want to put a vintage tint color on it and a cyano finish on the fretboard, am I better off with spraying a clear coat, or could i get away with a gun stock finish?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No need for the fretboard finish, so I'm not sure what you're interested in doing there. The oil finish on the neck will be fine assuming you like oil finishes. It will darken it a bit in addition to any stain you put on it...

3. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I've done a number of old Strat's, Tele's and bass necks with French Polish (shellac and oil), after a hard undercoat (sometimes nitro) with very good results. If you are looking for a very thin finish, this is a great opton, which is easily repaired down the road. Personally I would avoid the super glue on the fingerboard, though it works for spot repairs. As to oil finishes, Tru Oil or modified tung oil (Waterlox is a good example) will give you a reasonably hard and fast feeling finish too. Good luck!

4. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX