1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Finishing question, Need your ideas

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Doo Wop, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    I am getting ready to finish a Jazz Bass neck and here is my problem. First, I will be finishing the neck in nitro lacquer. I was thinking of tinting the neck, but I also want to paint the front of the headstock the same as the body color ( Ice Blue Metallic).

I have finished many guitars and basses, but this has never come up before. I know tape and fresh nitro definitely do not play well together.

I have thought about cutting a template of the headstock out of cardboard and laying over the headstock after the blue is painted and then carefully shoot the tint, but not sure if that would work or not?

Any ideas?

2. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    you try staining the neck to get the tint, then just spraying clear over the top. I've never tinted a neck before though so I don't know if you can get the right tint you want using a stain, but it might be worth looking in to.

3. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    I am not worried about tinting the neck. I have the tint in nitro lacquer. My problem is once I shoot the tint on the neck I can't tape it off to shoot the headstock face. Nitro and tape don't mix.
    So I was looking for other ideas or solutions to my problem :)

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Step 1: shoot the color on the headstock face *first*

Step 2: mask off the headstock face, shoot the lacquer on the back of the neck (if you are tinting the lacquer for the back of the neck... if not, then just skip to step 3)

Step 3: spray clear nitro over the whole neck...

5. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland

But I am into the same problem aren't I ?
    Shooting ice blue metallic nitro lacquer on the face of the headstock would not allow me to tape it off because the tape would react with the nitro. Correct?

6. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    You can tape off nitro... who said you couldn't? Just use the right tape. Many cars in the '50's were done in Nitro finishes (the same finishes that Leo Fender went on to use on his guitars), and they pin striped them, etc. I prefer the blue painter's tape, as it releases easily (less chance of damaging the finish), and it's "waterproof", in that paint won't make it release, it makes a good seal.

As an aside, if you are spraying *clear* nitro on the neck, you can just spray it over the blue headstock, as you will want to clear coat over it anyway.

You just have to wait for it to cure for a while... so, say, a few weeks...