neck for a 32" scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrackBass, Jun 6, 2005.

1. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    does any one know of a manufacturer that sells 32" scale bass necks? something that would fit a standard 2.5" neck pocket? or a 34" scale neck that has an extra 2" or so at the heel? maby something like tobias's necks with the extra "box" at the end of the neck that contains the truss rod access. just kicking around some ideas and not in a huge hurry, just wonderin'. any help would be appreciated.

btw the extra two inches is in comparison to a standard fender config.(20-21 frets) so a 34" scale neck with 24 frets may give me the clearance i need.
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I wanted the same thing. The only solution I can up with was to get a Warmoth/USACG 20 fret neck in unlined/undotted fretless and send it to someone who'd slot and fret it to 32" (23 frets). The Carvin necks could be done with 25 frets, but use a different pocket.

The necks themselves are reasonable prices, but I couldn't find anyone locally who'd do the fretwork for a reasonable price ("nah, mate...only do 34"). Maybe there's someone in the US that'd do it and onship for me.

Maybe it'd be possible to get one of the MIJ 32" necks as a spare/secondhand, but using this or the other options above, you'll still need to set up and rout the body differently to a 34" one.
  3. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    thanks man i hadn't thought of that. anybody else with a bright idea?
  4. Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ^^^ Not just a bump, a necro bump! :p Anyway Mike Dolan custom-makes really nice necks in any scale length you want, at very reasonable prices. He's in California.