1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck for Fender American Professional 5 string J Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HartofDavid, Oct 6, 2018.

1. HartofDavid

HartofDavid

Oct 5, 2018
    Can't find a neck ANYWHERE for a 2017 Fender American Professional 5 string J Bass body. Warmouth said they can't build one, and I can't find anything on Reverb, STRATosphere, etc. Started building this PartsCaster for my awesome son, not knowing how difficult it would be to find a neck that would fit. Ideally, we were hoping to find (or have built) a maple neck/fingerboard with black block inlay...but at this point, we just need to get something that will work. Thanks for your help!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If, at this point, you are willing to use anything that works, Warmoth is still a source for you. They sell the 5 in line that will fit, and their own tilt back neck too. You just can't get the 4 + 1 headstock.

A paddle headstock option isn't listed for the 20 fret 5 string neck, but if you call they may accommodate that, then you could shape it yourself and get your 4 + 1 that way.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    HartofDavid likes this.
  3. HartofDavid

HartofDavid

Oct 5, 2018
    Thanks for your help! We did consider the paddle headstock and drilling it ourselves, but Spike at Warmoth eventually talked us out of that option. He was much more concerned that it might not tune properly, than he was with making a sale. That is great customer care, and I'll go back to him next build for sure.
    We ended up settling for a $200 temporary solution when we found a very nice dark rosewood (we think) 5 in line Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass neck. The American Professional 5 string J bass body is Olympic White. We'll continue the quest for the perfect neck, but be jammin' at the same time!