Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck grime

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wxp4759cb, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I recently had my bass's neck de-glossed. It is starting to get some dirt and stuff off my hands, and is getting a little ruff. What should I use to clean it?

2. I suggest that you read through the thread titled "Deglossing bass neck". This subject was discussed quite extensively.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Not really. I don't need to take the gloss off, or use finishing oils. I just want to clean it.

4. Ok - I assumed that you would want to eliminate the roughness as well as the grime once and for all. Since that is not the case, First try alcohol (be careful as alcohol may damage your varnish). If that doesn't do it, use a strong detergent and water. The water will raise the grain of the wood, so you will have to lightly sand the surface with very fine sandpaper after the wood has dried. Since the neck has no finish of any kind, the bare wood is going to continue to do what it has done and you will be removing a small amount of wood each time you have to sand it to remove the roughness. A drying oil would eliminate this problem.

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Experienced woodworker that he is, Brother Branstetter no-doubt assumes you would remember to use a sanding block. You don't want to leave little sanding-craters in the back of your neck.