Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Heavy Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flash, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I'm just getting started and I purchased a starter Jay Turser 4 string. I like the Bass, it plays well, and looks pretty nice, (It's no Warwick) It seems a little neck heavy. I've been told this is normal. I have tried a few basses, but there is a big difference between tapping on one for a few minutes to see how it sounds and lugging one around for hours of playing and practicing. I find myself holding the neck up a little while I am playing. I this something I should be concerned about? Is there anything I could do to improve the balance? :confused:

Thanks!

Sorry if this should have gone into "Set up" Forum

Geddy Lee

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If your bass is a floor-diver, the headstock is why the balance isn't very even. A couple of things you could do;

- Try adjusting your strap so that the upper horn of body is pulled up towards your chin. In other words, make the front end shorter.

- If your handy with tools you could relocate the strap pin at the butt of the bass so your bass is at more of a steeper angle.

- Wear it like Fieldy :D

3. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks!

Again, since I am fairly new to the "Scene" I do not know all of the slang. I assume by "Floor-diver" you mean that the neck tends to drop toward the floor, this is the tendency. I am using a lightweight (Cheap)cloth strap, guess I should buck up and get a nicer one. Any recomendations?

Thanks again!

P.S. No offense to whoever it is, but....who is Fieldy?

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Welcome to TB, I like you already!!!
    Yup that's it goes right down to your toes. Your strap may help a little but repositioning the strap pin is your best bet.

Mike

5. rickbass

Whoops! My bad. Fieldy, (Reginald Arviznu) was/is playing bass for a group named KoRn. He is the butt of jokes here at Talkbass. Here's how he wears his bass so that "floor diving" isn't a problem -
    [​IMG]

Stay unaware of him and most Talkbass members will embrace you ;)

Your assumption is right on the mark - those tuners and headstock can weigh more than one thinks.

The thing about straps is that you can be "penny-wise and pound-foolish" (in reference to the English pound note). Cheap ones will nickle and dime you to death and usually never give you the comfort nor the durability you want. The strap pin holes on the ends become wide over time and don't do a good job of securing your instrument and they usually offer very little adjustability.

Personally, I have found over the years a good, leather strap will serve you for many years and probably save you money in a year or two. That's not to say there aren't good cloth straps. But, like most things bass-related, you get what you pay for
    :rolleyes:

Take a look at the Julian Thomas auto buckle leather strap at www.musiciansfriend.com (just search for "strap." It's leather, doesn't break the bank, and is quite adjustable since it is the same design an auto lap belt.

www.legacystraps.com offers the "Ultra II" strap that is made specifically for bass and is fairly low priced.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    All the Tursers I've seen look like Music Man copies...not Warwicks. Does yours look like an MM???

Welcome to TB.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    To answer your other question, yes you should be concerned. If you are forced to hold up the neck with your left hand while playing, you'll never get the proper wrist angle and your hand will fatigue much quicker than it should.

You can reposition with strap button, but unless it is a really bad diver, I have found that a nice wide (3" or so) strap with a little tooth to the back of it, like unfinished leather or sheep skin or something, will have enough grip to it to prevent diving.

Especially if, as mentioned, you play with a little angle to the neck and wear the bass a little higher. I prefer this for technique reasons also, as the higher the neck, the easier it is to keep your wrist straight, you elbow well below your wrist and your thumb in the spin of the neck. All these things will help your speed and stretch as you progress.

Chas

8. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Yes..I have been told that it is a Music Man Copy, the only reason I mentioned the Warwick is, that is what I would like to have. But....since I am just getting started, and don't plan on going platinum anytime soon, just wanted something that sounds good to jam with my Bro on drums.

Thanks to all who have posted on this!

And I think Fieldy should get an upright eh? :p Then maybe he could join up with Bella Fleck? Doubt he would take him though. :rolleyes:

P.S. Hoes anyone know anything about the Victor Victor Wooten Bass Camp? Is it for the elite? Or would a beginner get anything out of it?

Thanks again!

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You might also check into a set of ultralight tuners by companies like Hipshot, etc to lighten up the headstock end. I realize you have an inexpensive bass and that might be a bit of a large expense based on the cost of the bass, but you could always save the original tuners and change them back if you sell the bass later. A good set of tuners is always nice to have, and it's one of the things that usually ends up needing to be replaced on a budget-level bass.

10. I had a Jay turser too and it had terrible neck diving problems that handicaped my playing, the neck dive in these basses is mainly due to:

plywood made body (realy lightweight)
    heavy headstock and very heavy tuners)

I wouldn't recommand you to change your tuners though because they'll probably end up costing you half or 3/4th
    of the price of your bass new I just suggest to you to save your money and to buy another one that is not a turser.

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey Flash,

Try the Neotech Neophrene strap.

It`s a very good strap that I just bought to help correcting the headstock dive on my Gibson Thunderbird. It certainly helps a lot.

Give it a try !!!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As others are skirting around the issue ;) - this is not normal - this is one of the signs of a crap bass and is to be avoided at all costs!

Yes, you should be concerned and as QC etc. said - you should seriously think about another bass, as this may welll cause repetitive strain-stype injuries.

I think you would be better off trading in for something that does the job better, rather than paying out to customise something that will probably never repay the effort.

13. I'm so glad you asked that! I've been scratching my head over that for more than a year! :D

Lisa

14. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Ok....thank you all so much for your honesty in posting suggestions. :D However I must note that although the neck does drop a little while I am playing, it doesn't drop so badly that I have to use force to keep it up. If I hold the bass up by grabbing the strap and hanging it by just the upper horn button, it hangs with the neck pointing upward at about a 45 degree angle, but with the strap over my shoulder, it will start to slide....ever so slightly, over time.

I think my best bet at this point is to invest in a better strap and start saving for that Warwick!

I obviously should see the difference with a more expensive Bass...A friend of mine has a Warwick so I will ask if I can see the difference.

Thanks again!

15. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    You're welcome! But don't thank me thank Rickbass1 for supplying that wonderful picture of him. Now we all know what NOT to do!

16. A very good point, Flash! Thanks Rickbass1, for ending my suspense! :D

Lisa

17. rickbass

Well,,,,er....de nada, I guess, Lisa.

But, you might want to reserve your thanks. Now that you know you might possibly earn the disrespect of your friends. :oops:

On the other hand, you can now be popular with a lot of people practicing for their driver's licenses!!!

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You're having trouble with neck diving on a Turser and eventually want to own a Warwick. The Warwick Thumb is one of my FAVORITE basses to play at music stores, but Thumbs, particulary the 5 & 6 string models, are notorious for neck diving. If I had $10 for every person on TB or Bass Gear who is selling their Thumb because they couldn't handle the neck diving, I'd be able to buy my own Thumb :D :confused:

Peace,

James