Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck heavy bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gander, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Any quick, easy and cheap remedies for a neck heavy bass? Thanks for your input.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. change out the tuners for hipshot ultralightes

4. Move the strap pegs to change the balance. Move the peg on the butt end of the bass up toward the top a couple inches. On my Kramer (aluminum neck -- talk about neck dive!), I also moved the upper horn peg to the body, near the heal of the neck. These mods changed the angle at which my bass rests.

5. Ultra lite tuners, high mass bridge (solid brass BadAss II :D) and moving strap buttons are usually the only things you can do pretty easily. These was a thread I saw where someone made a Warwick Thumb balancer, but it looks really bad, and I wouldn't suggest that.

If you want something really drastic, take your bass to a pro and they can shave the neck and remove some wood, which would lighten the load some. But I personally would do that only as a last resort. It wouls kill any retail value, and in turn, you may not like the new neck profile, and you'd be stuck with a bass you don't like and can't sell.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    change bass.

7. I had a neck-heavy Warwick thumb for a while and finally the only real solution to the problem was to sell it and buy somehting else. Raising the height of the bass helped a bit because the overall neck height was better, but no straps or other things solved the problem. One change I didn't try, but have heard about, is to switch the strap button from the upper horn to the lower horn or to the lower edge of the body of the bass, thereby forcing a better balance.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Buying a Comfort Strapp brand strap did the trick for me. It completely eliminated neck dive and is easier than any physical changes. Try it! It's also very comfortable.

brad cook

9. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. Where can I see a Comfort Strapp?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Guitar Center also carries them sometimes so you could look there if you want to actually see one. That might be a good idea though as they come in different sizes.

brad cook

12. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks again, Guys. Next trip to Guitar Center I'll check out the Comfort Strapp.