1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Heavy Epiphone EB-0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDiPierro, May 5, 2010.

1. JDiPierro

JDiPierro

May 5, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I'm totally new to playing bass. I just bought my first bass, an Epiphone EB-0 off craigslist and I've fallen in love with everything that is bass! The EB-0 seems great for me as a beginner, but the one thing that really bugs me about it is that it seems to be very neck-heavy. If I'm standing up with the strap the neck just falls flat to the floor if I don't hold it, making it very hard to play standing.

First off I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the strap? I bought it for $5 in the bargain bin (literally, I had to dig for it) at a local music store.

If not the strap, I'm pretty certain it's just the placement of the... strap... knob... (does that thing have a technical name?) It's on the back of the body, as opposed to what I've seen most, on the... extension of the body... (I said I was new...); however the EB-0.

Is it possible to install another knob somewhere else? or is there any other way to help balance out the weight?

Thanks!

JD

2. Wider strap 3 inches or more will help, the strap peg could be moved , not sure where and lighter tuners could help.

3. JDiPierro

JDiPierro

May 5, 2010
    I'll definitely look into getting a wider strap soon. I might talk to a local shop about if they think moving the peg would be a good idea.

I don't think the tuners are that heavy.. I mean when I hold the bass in my hand it's definitely weighted toward the body, which confuses the heck out of me as to why it would be neck heavy when hanging by a strap.

Thanks for the tips!

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Get a suede strap. It doesn't have to be over 2 1/2" . Levy's makes a nice one that is about $20.00. It did the trick with my Gibson

5. I had a Gibson EB-0 as my first bass and got rid of it because of neck dive. Worst sounding bass I've ever played, glad it's gone.

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Its called a strap button generally, but strap knob/strap button/strap sticky outy thingi would be perfectly acceptable :p

If its at the neck heel (where the body meets the neck) already, its in the best position for that particular body shape, the problem with the EB-0 shape is that the upper horn (little sticky out extension bit) doesn't reach far enough forward to provide good leverage anyway.

To be honest the best place to locate a new strap button would be quite a way up the neck, around the 12th fret on the back of the neck, however it would get in the way there ect and likely cause problems.

With an EB-0, im surprised you have that many balance issues. Like someone already suggested, a good wide strap with a grippy surface will likely eliminate the dive all together. Lighter tuners would probably help too, but I wouldn't worry about them just yet.

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    The bridge strap peg needs to be moved. It should move closer to you vertically and could be placed on the back of the body. Lighter tuners like Hipshot Ultralights will help.

As an experiment, try placing both ends of the strap onto the neck strap button, then put the bass on. It'll be a little wobbly, but should give you an idea of how moving the button as I suggested will affect the balance.

8. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    The Gibson (Ep) EB0 is a very nice looking bass. It doesn't have the long horn on the strap side of the bass, that is the balance problem with them. I have one and it is hanging on the wall because it is a pretty artistic looking piece of equipment.
    I don't play it. I play a bass that when you let it go from your hands, it stays horizontal because it has the ballanced horn for the strap.
    Enjoy the bass and maybe someday if and when you can't take the balance problem, you can find something more comfortable.
    Weight can cause problems too. I bought a bass once that weighed 10 lbs. To heavy for me when I had to
    stand and play for three hours.

9. I once balanced an unusually light '54 P clone by adding a bridge cover to it, then sticking 11 oz. of adhesive auto tire weights under the cover and on the bridge. You couldn't see them and it balanced the bass nicely.

10. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I also had an EB3 as my first real bass. (A long time ago)
    It was very neck heavy.
    After fighting dive for a year I gave up and bought a Fender.

11. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Epiphone EB-3 5 String= WORST NECK DIVE EVER.