neck-heavy Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by one-note, Dec 25, 2003.

1. one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a 1999 Ken Smith BT-4 neck-thru, maple with a mahogany core. I love this bass, it's tone, feel and construction are second to none. I use the stock Smith strap but still find myself having to fight headstock dip. Instead of balancing at 45 degrees or so it wants to dip towards horizontal. Has anyone out there had a similar problem and remedied it?:meh:
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, you should mod the hell out of it.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    umm trade my bossa bass for it..this doesn't neck dive

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    try a better strap...something that has a rough (suade)sp? underside...and wide

5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If its really bad I suggest giving Ken a call, he's a great guy to deal with and I'm sure he'd be able to help you out better than anyone else.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I may be wrong but I think the BT's have shorter horns more suitable to sitting down -a la in the studio, whereas the BSR desing has a longer upper horn to faciliate ease of playing while standing.
  7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    You are correct.
  8. Complain about it in this, and other threads.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO, it's just a matter of finding the right strap.
  10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You could also possibly remedy it by moving the location of the lower strap button but that would require drilling another hole in the body! I suggest a wider strap first as others have!
  11. You can try Utralite tuners.
  12. one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    I really do not want to drill another hole in a Ken Smith bass. The strap is the key,imo. Has anyone tried those Y-straps that have a strap over each shoulder?