Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck heavy Squier P Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rockin John, Mar 30, 2001.

1. My bass is neck heavy when slung on the strap. OK, I'm a bit silly for buying such a thing but I've got it now and that's that.

It's the older model with large M/C heads and larger headstock.

Without butchering the instrument has anyone managed to get round this difficulty by any other means?

Thanks.

Rockin John

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, well, welcome to the club of unfortunates....

The only way I know to remedy a heavy neck is to move your strapknob at the bottom. Either you place it at the back, near the top, approx at the end of the 'bellycut'.
    Or you can find the center of gravity (nearly at the center of the neck jont plate) and put a knob there - a monopoint strap fixation. Then you attach both ends to that single strapknob. Works fine, and you can chose to sling over your left or right shoulder, to find which eases your playing the most.

Good luck!

3. Hi Suburban.

Hmmmm. Well, of course, I never suspected I was on my own. But how in the world do Squier allow themselves to make such a thing, and I presume the Fender P is the same.

Yes, I've experimented with moving the straplock positions without actually drilling more holes, if you know what I mean. Perhaps I'll do it. It was only cheap anyway.

Cheers.

John