Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Underdog, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    I just need a quick clarifacation.

The strings on a bass should be equidistant all the way down the neck, right?

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    actually, necks are a little narrower at the nut and get slightly wider at the end of the fingerboard, if that's what you're asking, but spacing between the strings should be uniform. in other words, the spacing between the E and A should be the same as the spacing between the D and G. does that make sense?

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Well it really depends on which direction your talking, but most generally, no, and not only no, but not at all.

Like string spacing, usually the nut is much skinnier than the bridge. So the strings get "wider" the further back you go.

As far as scale (the actual distance of the string itself), you can get whatever scale you want. Including a changing scale bass, like a Dingwall. The whole fanned fret deal. Never played one put it looks pretty cool.

Theres also action, which changes up and down the neck.

So short answer, relative to eachother, there is no equidistance (is that a word?) between strings.

As a sidenote, I've always thought Alembics looked like they had an even spacing all the way down on a tiny neck (placed into a nice big body). Compared to a Conklin or something. Just some thoughts.

4. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Gah. Poorly asked. Kinda rushed here.

Equidistant, i.e. verticle movement. So Action i suppose.

I got my bass back from the luthier and i can fit a q-tip under my 12th fret on my bass but it is super-close at the 5th. There is a visible bend in my neck, also.

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Yep, truss rod stuff, thats fine. If you like how it plays then its perfectly fine.

6. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nope. I hate it. It seems like the neck shouldn't be BENDING

7. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC

there is usually a slight increase in the distance between the string and the frets as you move from the nut towards the bridge. This allows the strings to vibrate without buzzing the frets.

A bend in the neck is ok, it is called "relief," but it's not usually obvious or visible unless you are looing very carefully.

Take a look in the setup & repair forum, esp at the "all trussrod & action" sticky and the Gary Willis site. That will give you any idea about how this all works, and some rough measurement ideas.

The main issue is, of course, how does the bass play for you?

8. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    honestly if it just came back from the luthier I would take it back to him, say "sorry, i dont like my setup, i'd like the lowest action possible". it should be a job he could do there and for free.