Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck humbucker buzzing when I'm not touching the strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Sep 2, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hi, I noticed that in my band's rehearsal room, which seems to be ripe with all sorts of evil frequencies that cause hum and buzz because this does not happen at home, my amp buzzes more when I I’m not touching the strings and have the neck pickup soloed, whereas the bridge pickup is pretty much dead quiet.

For some reason, I don’t think this is an electronics compartment shielding issue as it only happens with the neck humbucker and I’ve already added some aluminium tape with aluminium on one side and paper covering the adhesive substance on the other to the walls of my electronics compartment, but who knows, I may have done a half-assed job while doing so.

I couldn't really adhere the tape to the walls as I have no clue how to take out the preamp, the only thing that is holding the tape in place is the cables, several pieces of the preamp and the lid of the electronics compartment. Before you ask, no the side with the aluminium isn’t touching the preamp and/or cables, I put the tape in so the side with the aluminium is only touching the wood and the cables are only touching the paper.

What do you guys think? As neck HB only is not a setting I use all the time (I use it only when I want an ultra-deep or ultra-brutal sound) this issue is bearable, but it's still a bit annoying. Thanks in advance. The bass is a Status Energy 5 string, pickups and electronics are stock. I hear the lower-End status basses are a bit notorius for half-assed shielding.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Here's something: I noticed that the buzzing goes away completely if I'm using a stomp box between my bass and my amp and switch it on. Any ideas?
    Perhaps this is really a grounding issue, but my electronics compartment does have a grounding lug.

3. YoryoBass

YoryoBass

Oct 19, 2005
    ground wiring? it seems to be a bad ground wiring

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hmm. Ground wiring? Whazzat? I thought a grounding lug was enough. Could it be due to the relatively cheap cables I’m using? My electronics compartment looks like this (ignore the arrow).

[​IMG]

5. YoryoBass

YoryoBass

Oct 19, 2005
    first of all sorry for my english if it's not as clear as I want... (I'm wiriting from Spain)...

Ok this is a good photo. Look at the grey cable welded at the bottom of the potentiometer on the right. This is the ground pole. When ground is not well welded, ground is not derived to anywhere... and this noise appear.

I think that's the problem... anyway if you are using cheap cables, rewire all the electronics with the best cable you can find

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    By cables I meant instrument cables, the cables in my electronics compartment are supposed to be high quality, as far as I know.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to have a look at the grey cable's soldening point.

7. YoryoBass

YoryoBass

Oct 19, 2005
    ok, post your results!

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I think a bad instrument cable is likely.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep. I used to use flimsy 18 gauge cables, but saved up some cash and replaced them all with CBI cables. No more hum. At all. More tone and thump too.