1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neck issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nitewalker, Apr 19, 2009.

1. nitewalker

nitewalker

Mar 9, 2008
    bought an Ibanez Ergodyne - only six months old. Had a buzz at the first fret and so I brought it in to a shop to get a setup. The shop told me that the neck was twisted and not worth fixing! So, I am getting it back without a repair. Is there somewhere that I can pick up a replacement neck for a hundred, or two max, and would that be a good way to go, or am I just out the $$ that I spent on the bass? thanks for any input.

2. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    I would take it to a second repair guy.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Some of those early Ergodyne basses had LUTHITE (I think that's how they spelled it) body and neck. It was totally man-made, no wood. If that is what you have, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done. If you have a wooden neck, there MAY be something that can be done, but the process would be lengthy and time-consuming. Your repair bill would probably be more than the bass is worth. Lastly, if you do have a luthite bass, don't let it crack or break. The guts of those bodies and neck smelled like gasoline and you can never get the smell out of a case (or a guitar repair counter). TRUST ME!

4. nitewalker

nitewalker

Mar 9, 2008
    it is the wood version - not the early one.