Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Issues with my Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rboyce, Jun 3, 2004.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey all.

Got a question for all you luthiers. I own a MIM Fender Standard Jazz Bass, purchased in 2001. About 3 months ago, the action (way too high) and intonation had gotten so bad that I finally took it into Jim Mouradian in Cambridge MA (a great guy and a great luthier). In addition, the skunk stripe had started to pull away from the neck (you could feel the poly "bump up" around the stripe). Long story short, Jim did a great job of repairing the skunk stripe and giving the bass a proper setup. When I picked it up, the intonation was perfect and the action was nice and low.

Here's my dilema - he fixed the neck so well that the opposite problem is now occuring - the neck is so strong that the action keeps lowering itself. The result is I have to crank the trussrod every couple of weeks to raise the action so there's no buzz (and so that I can play below the 3rd fret).

I'm wondering if the neck will eventually "settle in", so I don't have to keep adjusting the truss rod every few weeks. I've talked to Jim about this, and he didn't seem too concerned. I don't want to keep bugging him about this issue if either 1) this is normal for a J Bass neck or 2) it will eventually stop.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ray

2. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bump...can someone please respond?! thx, ray

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, as soon as I releasied something was wrong, I would of brought it right back to Jim. That is if it happened a day or so after.

If it was longer than a week or so, it might just be due to the crazy weather we're having.

[quote[Here's my dilema - he fixed the neck so well that the opposite problem is now occuring - the neck is so strong that the action keeps lowering itself. The result is I have to crank the trussrod every couple of weeks to raise the action so there's no buzz (and so that I can play below the 3rd fret).[/quote]
    From this description it seems like the neck did a slight (maybe not so slight) back bow.

I don't understand what you mean by "crank the trussrod[/u]" but to me, that means "tightening" which will make the problem worse.

I really don't like giving set up tips over the internet cause it's difficult to judge with out actualle seeing the bass.

4. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanx for the reply...let me try and clarify a few things and maybe you can provide some more advice.

When I say "crank the trussrod", I should have said "loosened the truss rod". The neck is now bowing "in", towards the strings - obviously, that causes the action to become too low (eventually too low to play).

As far as talking to Jim about it...I first noticed this problem about 2 weeks after I got it back from him. I immediately called him, and I went down to his shop where he adjusted the truss rod so the action was raised to a playable level. Like I said in my original post, he didn't seem too concerned about the neck now bowing "in" (towards the strings) - his theory was that his repairs had done such a good job that the neck had re-gained a lot of its strength. Basically, he sent me away thinking that maybe only 1 or 2 more adjustments would be necessary. This may be true - I hope it is. I've already made one more adjustment. But I'd really appreciate some other opinions/advice.

Thanks,

ray