1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck joint impact on sustain

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Mar 13, 2017.

1. It cant comment on this particular article, but bolt on basses tend to sound punchier. Through necks tend to sound smoother and headless tends to sound the punchiest. We perceive the audio differences through the note feel and attack. it's not that one construction is better, it's just different.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Once again, a sample size of one ≠ science. The test is meaningless and cannot reasonably conclude that a particular neck joint tends to sound a certain way.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'm familiar with a lot of Liuttaio's work, it's very good.

Gorn, I'd be hard pressed to call the test meaningless (as a scientist) and I'm not sure in this case what the concern is about it being done on one apparatus which was modified to be the independent variable in the experiment (neck joint type). The only variable changed was the neck attachment and the dependent variable was the measured sustain. The set up even went so far as to have a uniform controlled picking mechanism. That's the essence of a scientific experiment.

Unfortunately I don't have the entire paper in order to read the actual conclusions that Luittaio drew... only this article and the abstract on his website.

4. It seems to be he did a pretty good job of isolating the variable.

5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It's all in the fingers (splitting hairs aside) ;) No, don't mean to be dismissive - I like both the functional efficiency of bolt-on necks and the craft of a neck-thru bass - I own/play both but have no sonic preference. As a specific example, I have a '64 T-bird (neck thru), a '65 Teisco Del Rey and '66 P (to stay within a set few years) and each one sounds great in its own unique way regardless. All my other basses are bolt on, including those I design/build - all good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Will_White likes this.