neck joint question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mr Funk Fingers, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Soon I'll be making a neck, and not having done this before I'm curious about the neck jointing method I believe called the "scarf" joint, where you cut at an angle and reverse and glue the headstock on. How would you clamp it tight enough to make a secure hold? To me it seems like it would slide too much.

Sean aka Funk
  2. I'm wracking my brain here and coming up with very little. All I can come up with is try to have some spare wood at sides of the joint, that can be removed later, send some screws through this wood, then clamp it. That way the screws hold it from slipping.

I think it'll depend on how much of an angle you use, the more you have the harder it will be to counter the slipping.

I tried. You might want to wait for someone with some experience, cause its possible that as long as the clamps don't slip, the joint won't slide.

Josh D
  3. Thanks for the effort =) I was just told to use dowls to secure the headstock, kinda what you had in mind.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You could use dowels, or you could cut clamping cauls that keep things in place.

Basically, you cut wedge-shaped cauls that allow you to clamp to flat surfaces. If you do a web search on "scarf joint", I'm sure I remember seeing a pictorial representation of what I'm trying to say.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    In joining body wings to a center block, some luthiers use dowels. This is like you just mentioned. Another technique that at least one luthier uses for bodies, that might also be used for the headstock, is this: drive a few small wire nails partway into one piece, clip off the heads leaving 1/16-1/8" sticking out, and file them to a sharp point, to act as a small barb to engage the other piece of wood.
  6. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ok, it's an ancient thread, but I might be able to contribute for once! Couldn't you just find some surface with a 15' angle (Or whatever angle you cut) and clamp each part of the neck to each side of the surface?
  7. FunkFingers,
    Search is your friend.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I just snap a couple of staples in areas that will be removed later. This has worked very well for me on a bout 5 necks built this way.
  8. If he'd searched when he posted this he'd have never found your thread.