Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Lenths

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by salsjag, Jun 4, 2002.

1. I would like any opinions on the positives or negatives of a 33" or 34" neck on a 5 string. Is there really a perceievable difference in sound. I would assume the mids are better with a 33" and low B better with a 34". What about E and A?
    Thank you,

2. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    First of all, it's the scale lengths that you are talking about. Not the neck lenghts. But to the topic, on a 5 string a lot of poeple say that their best B is on a 35. Others best will be on a 34. Most will probably say a 35.

However, your question was between 33 and 34. Take into account your arm length, how far your fingers can stretch, and so on. Scale length is not the only factor, your wood choice and pups will also determine the final product of the bass.

3. Chambers

Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    It also has to do with strings. Heavier/tighter strings will help offset a shorter scale length. I prefer the longest you can play comfortable... in fact I play 37.5, but most people consider that monsterous. 35 is a good choice for 5 strings, but 34 would work fine. I would be hesitant to go any shorter than 34 for fear of spaghetti strings and less tone.

4. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm with Chambers on this, i play a 36" 5 string. It was the reason i bought the bass. Longer scale lengths are becoming more popular, HOWEVER the long scale length makes it harder to play chords even high up on the neck, but boy does my lowb sound and feel bada$$

Peace