1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck not bolted on right???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mr. Kitty, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    yeah it always is...

but as of right now i did have the truss rod tightened a while ago....idk if it makes a difference but i believe i had the truss rod tightened like...very late fall? maybe? yeah i think that's right...

does that make any difference or should i still loosen the truss rod?

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Just removing the strings and removing the neck shouldn't harm your bass at all. As stated above, I would definitely take some of the tension off the truss rod. But, I'd check the relief FIRST, because if the relief is good, you won't have to adjust the rod much if at all

3. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    Okay SDB,

I checked the relief at the 9th fret, and right now it's higher than a medium fender pick.

and that means the truss rod should be able to be tightened correct?

keep in mind it has been some time since i last adjusted the truss rod. :cool:

4. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    yep.

5. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    okay thanks...

umm i will attempt doing this repair and take pictures and tell you how it turns out...

and just out of pure curiosity:
    how much would it cost to have an actual luthier do this? or if i screw it up somehow?

just an estimate if its alright...

6. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    You don't need a luthier, just a good repair/setup tech. If it's just an adjustment, it's likely a part of a good tech's "setup" and they probably wouldn't charge you any more than their normal setup. (I don't know how much, since I've always done my own.) If it's actually something screwed up, you'll have to ask for an estimate.

-Nick

7. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've had quotes from $20 - $100 depending on where I go. I'm sure you won't hit that during this process. As long as you don't force the truss rod past where it should go, you'll be fine. I found after having a job working on computers, being my own car mechanic, and working on my own bass... that most basic work on things are over charged by most places. (Over charged to the point of "ripping off"). Good reason to learn, saves you a hefty penny. :hyper:

8. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    To be fair though, they've gotta get paid too. And while there are a lot of places that actually are a ripoff, There are plenty of honest, if expensive, ones too. I'd rather have someone who does good work charge me a bit more and still be there next time I need him than do cheap work and go out of business.

OTOH, if you can do your own work and not break things you can obviously save yourself a lot of money, buy more basses, and give them the business when it's something you can't handle yourself.

-Nick

9. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    I gotcha.

Sorry it's taking so long to do this procedure.
    I'm still waiting for my friend to get back to me on bringing some of his tools by and just sitting down and doing this thing.

Oh and on that bass currently i have some pretty nice/expensive elixers on there. Good idea to put the strings back on after taking them off? I mean for the tone and what not. I've done that all the time with guitars when doing repairs and its usually okay but for bass i don't know how well the tone carries over. Or if the strings would last as long if i do that...

10. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    I've never had a problem reusing strings. You just have to be careful not to bend any kinks etc. Don't straighten the wound portion if you can avoid it, just loosen them a lot and slide the winding off the top of the post.

If you have a non-quick release bridge it may be tricky, but try and bend them as little as possible (I've done this several times on my fretless, and it's been fine.

It's not so much for tone, but if you bend and unbend the ends of the string too much the likelihood of breaking it goes up a lot. Also, try to avoid twisting it any differently than it was originally.

Other than that, no worries, they should be fine to reuse. I do it all the time.

-Nick

11. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    aww thanks man.

umm well my bridge is the one where you have to slide it in and out through a gap...which i'm assuming is not quick-release?

but yeah i'll try to do that and thanks a lot!