1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck off or on?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Papajewrry, Dec 24, 2016.

1. I'm assembling an unfinished hollowbody bass kit. I'm ready to apply the finish, it's a set neck. Do I glue the neck on before or after I apply the finish?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I do it before. That way the finish can cover the joints beautifully. I also completely assemble the bass and set it up in the white before finishing. That way and problems with setup and functionality can be corrected before the final finish... :)

3. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I guess it depends on you finish and the glue, but ... if you apply the finish first, don't put any on the joints where the glue is going to be.

Will_White likes this.
  4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I'd glue it then apply finish, that's what I did with my kit bass, same one you got.

5. Thanks. Hey Will what did you do for a finish?

6. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I did a brown stain on the sides and back of neck, and an oil based wipe on poly (kind of yellow) on the front and back.