neck off the body for shipping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bickele, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    After reading Berklee46's post about shipping damages I'm getting really nervous: I'm buying a MTD 535 from the US, shipping to Europe in a few days with UPS Express Worldwide.
    It looks like no matter the packaging things can go wrong and the neck-body joint suffer.

Would it be a crazy idea to get the guy I'm buying from to take the neck off the body?

I'm pretty sure that this would make the shipping safer, but would I risk loosing "something", Mike's magic touch maybe?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Bad idea. I've bought, sold, and traded many basses over the past 5 years. Never had a problem with any shipping. Put it in its case, pack it well, insure it. That's the way to go

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have never had a problem with a shipped bass as long as it was packed well. Hell, I've never had a problem with one, period and I've even gotten some that were packed poorly.

I'm not convinced that it's necessarily a "bad idea", however. To each her/his own.
  4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The last bass i shipped was with the neck removed, per the buyer's request. I put the body in the gig bag, carefully wrapped the neck in flexible corrugated cardboard sealed with generous amounts of packing tape, put both in the box crossways and let 'er rip. It was a Zon, and that made me feel better about it being ok after the neck was to be reattatched.

Actually, it was this Zon
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    bikeplate, could you elaborate a little more on "bad idea" why is this a bad idea to take a neck off a bass that was designed to take its neck off. Im not saying your wrong but im thinkin of doing this when i go overseas with my bass and i want to know how it could be bad for the bass to have its neck off?
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Maybe I should have said unnecessary. Get a good flight case. That should do the trick. You're going to have to get the bass setup again. That will cost you $ too. Just don't see the point of this exercise

7. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I considered doing this when I recently sold a bass - not because I was worried about damage, but because finding an appropriate box to ship in was a BIG PROBLEM.

If you did this, it would allow a smaller, cheaper box and lower your overall cost of shipping - especially to Europe.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...a flight case isn't cheap...

9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it's going overseas, taking the neck off will probably save you a buck or two, but that's the only real advantage I can think of.
  10. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i dont think it is necesessary to have the neck removed. i have had a couple of basses shipped to me and they were fine. really, after shipping, you are gonna have to do some setting up anyways, so i dont think it is that big of a deal to take the neck off, it would just save you some trouble to have it left on. if the bass doenst come with a case, i would suggest ordering one along with it so that they can use the case to ship it. the most recent bass i got in the mail was my peavey millennium ($1600) and it was just in its case and the case was wrapped up in some cardboard. the bass was fine. i just worked some of my setup (more like mess-up) *magic* and it was good to go.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've never removed the neck from a bass that I shipped but I think it would be good idea providing that you're competent (or know someone who is) in reattaching the neck and setting up the instrument. I have had two basses slightly damaged while being shipped. One suffered a hairline crack at the neck joint and the other suffered a hairline crack down the center of the Fingerboard from the 12th fret through the 24th fret. I definetly believe that the crack at the neck joint would have been avoided if the neck at been removed. If you drop an instrument packaged up in a OHSC the impact can easily cause that type of problem.
    I say go for it!
  12. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for the input!