Neck on a Fender Jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jan 4, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I really like the feel of the neck of a Fender Jazz 4-string -- in terms of both width and depth, it seems to fit my hand just right. I've never played a Jazz 5, and I'm curious about the neck on these. Obviously it will be wider than the 4, but is it similar in feel to the 4?

Also, as an aside, is the B reasonably tight on these, or floppy, compared to other 34" 5-strings (Zon, Sadowsky, etc.)?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try a few to answer all your questions.
  3. I think a question that should be posed is are you looking for an opinion on a MIJ Jazz or a MIA Jazz?
  4. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Is there a difference in terms of neck profile and/or B tightness?
  5. I have a Fender Deluxe V (MIM) with upgraded electronics. The neck on mine is certainly wider than the 4, but it still has a nice, playable profile.

I feel the B is reasonably tight. It probably doesn't compare to a Sadowsky, but it certainly gets the job done. The higher the guage, the tighter it should feel. Then you have a choice between tapered and conventional B-strings...
  6. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    I own a MIA 5 string J- and a MIA 4 string P-

The feeling is different, but I feel at least as comfortable playing the J than the P.

Many people complain about the B string. I was one of them at the beginning, but after a few tentatives, I found the right setup (neck, action) to have it tight, and with low action. I have since changed the strings for some DR's, and it is perfect now.

You should try some anyway...