Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck on Dean Improv 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dooberheim, Jun 13, 2002.

1. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Hello. I'm pretty new here and I wonder if anyone has experience with this.

I played a Dean Improv 5 (neck-thru with maple/walnut 5 piece neck and wenge fingerboard) at a local store a couple weeks ago. I liked the sound and feel of the bass, but the neck had no relief with a lot of buzzing frets. I asked the owner to set it up and I would come back and try it again.

I went back and it now plays nicely. What concerns me is the owner said he had set the bass up before and the neck had settled. The bass has been in the store for a while and is on sale (one of it's attractions, but perhaps also a red flag). I am wondering if the neck on this bass is stable -- I can do setups myself and don't mind doing them but it would be nice not to have to do them often.

Anyone have experience with this particular bass? It sounds great and I like it otherwise. Thanks.

DK

2. I have a Dean Edge 4 (sorry not the Improv) with a bolt on 5 peice Maple/walnut neck. I've never seen a more stable neck, it's sets up perfect and stays put. it's now a fretless, with high tension flatwounds on it. I adjusted it once with the flats.

when I first recived my DP custom 5, I set it up and a day later it was buzzing again. I set it up again and it's been fine ever since. maybe they really do need to settle in.

maybe bring up your concerns with the store, and let 'em know that if it bows out within X amount of time, that you're bringing it back.

3. O yeah,
    a lot of people prefer different types of set ups. I can't play my bass teacher's bass without getting all kinds of buzz. but, it plays fine for him, he's got a lot lighter touch.
    maybe that was the problem?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wouldn't worry about it. Those basses are very nice.

5. The Improv are among the best (if not the best) basses in its price range. In fact, they compete with many basses costing much more.

6. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Thanks for everyone's input. The owner of this store is a pretty right guy so I'm sure he won't have a problem with making it right if there is an issue with this particular bass. I'll make sure anyway.

Guess it's off to the store tomorrow

:)

DK

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Please post pics!!! :)

8. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Philbiker:

Here you go:

9. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Sorry:

I don't seem to be able to attach the file. Is there something I'm missing? I've messed with this for a little while...

Any advice would be helpful.

DK

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you have web space with your ISP upload to that (your ISP should have directions somewhere at their website) then link to the uploaded image using the "IMG" button at the top of the reply screen.

11. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Sorry, I don't have web space. Guess I can't do it? I see people that insert pictures (not links) into their posts -- maybe it's only for supporting members.

The bass looks very similar to the one shown in www.deanguitars.com. If you click on the Improv V the bass that comes up beside the features list is it.

I gigged with it tonight for the first time and it worked very well. Growls better than my J-bass and is a lot easier to play (My J-bass is on its last legs -- neck joint problems making it hard to play and keep in tune). I couldn't get the action as low as on my Carvin, but am still tweaking, and it has a better sound for alternative, I think. I'll put a review up after I've used it more -- I haven't seen any reviews for the Improv except at HC, and that was for a Korean model.

Ah likes it...:D

DK

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Excellent! Glad to hear that it sounded so good for you.

13. there is a button at the bottom of the reply page (next to "attach file") that says "browse". click on it, find the picture file and then reply with the picture file attached. if it says the picture is too big. you will have to reduce the quality or shrink down the picture. you can do it with any imaging software.

14. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Thanks chump stain. I did do what you said several times, changing the file name and making sure it was small enough (it's only 24 K). Let me try once more.

Still didn't show up in the preview

I don't know. I'll ask an administrator what the problem is - -I saw someone else a few days back who had the same problem but don't remember what thread.

It's a nice bass though. Thanks for the advice.

DK

15. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Well, I'll be a frickin' idiot. It worked that time. Maybe I can show you the back:

DK

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    BTW, those Edge Improvs seem to compete directly with Spector European-series. Both are neck-throughs, hand-made in Czech, have the very same Schaller hardware, EMG pups..

17. I think they are actually made in the same factory. Thats what I heard at least.

dooberheim,
    Mighty fine lookin bass you got there! I'm jelous:(

hope it works out for you (with the set-up and stuff).

let us know when you do the review.

18. I like the Improv's very much, great basses, in fact IMO most of the Deans are pretty good, I like 'em!

Nice bass dooberheim!

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Me, too. Same factory, same parts bin, same construction. :) I think the pickups are different and the EQ is probably a little different, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the neck profile is different, too. But they are definitely very close cousins. Nice bass.

20. The Improv is made in the same facility as the Europe series Spectors. So, it's no surprise that the Improv is very Spector influenced. The feel and tone is pretty close to one another.

The biggest difference is that the Improv has a flat back where as the Spector has the carved back. The Improv has a figured maple top over an alder body where as the Spector's entire body is figured maple and of course the body shape and headstock. Otherwise, pretty darned close.

If the neck through Europe series Spector is out of your price range, the Dean Improv is the best lower priced alternative (better than the Professional series Spectors IMO)!