Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck on Fender Fretless-Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Apr 11, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was wondering what the fretlines were made of on the Fender Standard Fretless.

Im debating on getting a Yamaha or the Fender, I know the Yamaha has maple fretlines.

Thanx

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Help me out guys/gals. Ima drowning here!!!

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I really don't know odie so I'll just ask, what difference does it make to you? I wouldn't think it would be a deciding factor as to which bass you buy.

4. They appear to be made out of Cyclovac, which is whatever plastic Fender uses for their nuts as well.

FF

5. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Odie, what Yamaha interests you ?
    I want to get a cheap fretless to start with and I 'm still torned between a Yamaha BBN4F and Fedner MIM JB fretless. Since I can't try any of them (none in stores around me), I would like any exprerience you have.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

MJB it wouldnt be a big difference but I maybe using half-wounds or similiar and I wasnt sure if they were just painted on or something cheap like that.

NJXT I'm looking at the same basses as you are, BBN4F or MIM. I played a MIM once but it was the first fretless Ive ever played so at the time I didnt have much to compare to, It really was alot of fun playing a fretless, ever since I've wanted to get one.

I've never played the BBN4F, but Bass Player gave it high marks if that means anything;)

7. Odie's right. Bass Player magazine gave the Yamaha
    the best ratting out of six or seven basses. While that means something, it will never replace trying it yourself. I own a MIM Fretless Jazz, and it's a super
    bass, not just for the money, it's very good in general. The only drawback that I'm always complaining about is the humming from the pickups.
    Not a big deal to some, but it bothers me. The one
    excellent thing about the Fenders is that you can replace ANYTHING on the bass easily, so I'd recommend the Fender.

Mike J.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like the Fender JB more. I've tried 4 different MIM fretlesses & 2 Yamaha somethin or others. i prefer the MIMs. But i ended up gettin an Ashbory instead. thats all

9. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I wouldnt worry about what the line are made out of.Thats just me though.