1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck or Bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EvolLove13, Dec 14, 2011.

1. EvolLove13

EvolLove13

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    I've finally narrowed down my pick up slection for my bass I have, but can't quite figure out the best configuration for the two pickups, so some help would be much obliged.

My bass is one of these.
    Goth Series - The Unofficial Epiphone Wiki

And here are the two pickups I've decided on.
    35DCX | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups
    35CSX | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups

Now what would be the best configuation for these P'ups here? And should I keep the 2 Volume and 1 Tone? I was thinking of adding some of the different tone controls EMG offers, but I don't know how well these work.

BTC Control | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups
    VMC | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups

\m/

2. I have EMG 45DCX and BQC System installed on my Yamaha RBX 375 and they sound AMazing and can produce a tone for almost any genre. What kinda music do you play?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    good choice on the "X" versions of any EMG.

the DCs will be sharp and aggressive, the CSs will be more even and balanced.

lots of metal guys like the DCs.

for preamp circuits, the BTS makes the most sense, bass and treble; it should be all you need, assuming you need any of it. (or the electrically identical BTC if there's only room for one knob.)

4. EvolLove13

EvolLove13

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    Well my band plays hard rock and metal stuff. You can see my bands sight below, but we've gotten a new guitarist recently and he is totally George Lynch mixed with Marty Friedman, so its much more metal than whats on the sight now.

*Warning! Warning! 80's alert!*

Doomentia

5. EvolLove13

EvolLove13

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    Ha ha, I still haven't got an answer, which of these would be best in each position? Since the CS is more balanced and the DC more agressive would it be best to go CS(n) and DC(b)? Or Vice versa?

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would match them either way; for hard rock/metal, i'd go DCs in both spots.

7. EvolLove13

EvolLove13

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    Alright, indecesion has struck again... A lot of people that I work with are telling me not to go EMG's and that there are way better Pups out there. I've been hearing alot about the SGD Pups and was wondering how these compare to EMG's and Bart's. (My other Pup thoughts)

Opinions on these are welcomed and encouraged. Best, Better, Good.

8. Nothing wrong with EMG-they are a high-quality pickup. Its all about what sound you are after.