1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck pick up (mudbucker) quieter than bridge pickup (thunderbird)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bryceg2189, Oct 8, 2017.

1. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    hey guys. so i didnt quite know how to search this...found a few threads but nothing related to my issue. here it is:

so i recently bought an epiphone eb3 on the cheap and thought id just try and mod it out with something crazy. so i bought a curtis novak mudbucker for the neck and a lollar thunderbird for the bridge. why not?
    well they are both wired in, the configuration is vvtt. the bridge pickup is pretty gnarly and plenty loud but the neck is extremely quiet. both pickups were hooked to a voltmeter. the mudbucker is 28k and thunderbird is 9, just like they were advertised.

anyone have any suggestions? could it be phasing or something? the pots? maybe i should do a vvt wiring? im assuming it isnt an issue with the pickups simply because they issued a reading on the voltmeter, which would mean they simply work; that could be faulty logic on my part. i thought about the heights, the bridge is pretty high at 1/16th from the strings. the neck is at 3/32nds, both being the "standard" for gibson basses. either way, its a mudbucker! it should breathe fire!
    anyway, im open to opinions.

btw im sure everyone will want to see pictures, ill try but the bass is at the shop right now

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Try adjusting the pickup height (bridge) or polepieces (neck).

3. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    well, assuming it isnt the wiring or the pickups, i guess thats the only other option. i guess i could raise the neck but like i mentioned, they are raised to gibson specs which are already pretty high. i understand that pickup height is a matter of taste, but you would think that at least at those settings i could get a workable sound. when i say the neck is quiet, i mean it is verrrrry quiet. a 28k pickup should be anything but.

perhaps i should return the pickup, but i am assuming because the voltmeter reads it, there isnt a fundamental flaw with its construction.

4. So you have VVTT?

5. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    yeah, its the standard volume volume tone tone w/ a 3 way rotary switch. from what i understand, those setups sometimes come with resistors and whatnot...im not as informed as i probably should be but it sounds very confusing. im tempted to just wire it like a jazz bass. i dont know if that would help.

6. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    and im assuming it isnt the pickups. ive touched the leads to an instrument cable and have gotten sound out of both

7. Is the mudbucker only quiet when used with the bridge pickup? Given the impedance difference, I would expect the bridge pickup to load the mudbucker. If that is the case, try putting a small resistor in series with the bridge pickup to increase its impedance.