Neck pickup location

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brisonic, May 6, 2021.

1. Seems like on short scales the pickup ends up closer to the neck, not sure the reason, prolly just how the string vibrates, but for example a Birdsong Corto has a single coil jammed up to the neck and it sounds tremendous... articulate and woody. MVIMG_20180410_175253.jpg

DJ Bebop and son_of_mogh like this.
  2. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Ernie Ball Stingray HH. The pickup is so near the neck it messes with my slap/pop technique, as I can't get a finger in between the pickup and neck.

But on settings that use that pickup, it sounds massive.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Epiphone Rumblekat
    th-jpeg-3.jpg

oldandbold, DJ Bebop and son_of_mogh like this.
  4. Do I dare?

Oh, H E double hockey sticks...

IMG_3009.JPG

:)

5. stanleyclarkeband.jpg
    A-87519-1530425833-3519.jpeg.jpg
    spASSMkSdh2koGoBvQiyPD.jpg
    12abfaad138fde8d724edebc6f5e89ed.jpg

6. I know it’s a fine line, but I like it:)

darwin-bass and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    3 pickups, because you can, excellent.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    I saw a vid of a Fender tele bass that was available a few years back, a player's version for 600ish and when in the neck position with the tone rolled off it was super huge sounding. Check out at like the 3:20ish mark.

10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Leo's hearing was also severely damaged, he lost high frequencies.
    He also did not play.
    He used an osilliscope.

bdplaid likes this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    All of that is true, but the comb filtering we're talking about is most audible in the lower mid frequencies - a few hundred Hz is the neighborhood where the most audible dips and peaks hang out. Hearing damage (at least the environmental kind) happens around the resonance of your ear canals (3kHz-ish). Leo could probably still hear the difference we're talking about. I'm sure he listened to the input of musicians as well, but the first stab at locations (which may or may not have been the final result) was probably his ears.

12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

I worked at G&L. His lab was right behind my station .
    I drove him home weekly for 5 years.
    He used the o scope. He had only a tiny amp: a champ iirc.
    Of course he used what hearing he had, but the oscope was the main tool.

By that time, (80s) I would expect he may have used his hearing earlier in life much more.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Definitely wish I left it sunburst. 56AA48BC-4D46-46F1-BEE2-9F67C90A4474.jpeg

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  14. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    D'Addario EXL170s

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  15. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Yea, I totally get it. I like the bass to sound like an instrument - with definition to the note. To have a voice, a presence, clarity. With lows of course but it should stand up and say "here I am, listen to my color". When I run sound I am looking for some mid overtones.

But the sound tech who runs sound when I'm playing bass likes the bass to be this low frequency rumble that is in tune with the song. No definition, no clarity, just lows. Sigh. :)

16. Yeah it drives me crazy when I can’t actually hear what the bassist is playing. But that’s usually the sound guy, not the bass.

It depends on the music. In a reggae/dub recording context, I’ve had producers EQ out everything above 300Hz!

You can get audible mids out of an old EBO. It helps to use a modern amp and cab.

17. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I think my SVT-CL does a great job squeezing mids out of a Novak EB-0 or the stock Gibson SG pickup. Just turn the bass and treble down as much as desired. I love what remains.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021