Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by si_mon13, Jul 6, 2005.

1. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    i recently bought a modulus vj4 from 513rocks here on talkbass. Im really satisfied with the bass itself and until now i had no problems with it.
    When i plugged the bass into my computer the other day to record something i wanted to roll off the bridge pickup and record with the neck pickup only. I got no signal though. I tried to adjust some volume settings on my computer no, i didn't help. The day after i went and got another battery to see if that was the cause. It wasn't. Anyhow when i plugged the bass in later the same day the neck pickup worked fine for a whole session, and i thought the nightmare was over. I was wrong, today i went to the local guitarshop to try out an eden amp, and meanwhile the problem had returned. What's wrong and what can i do some thing about it?
    I don't feel like going and getting ripped off by a some "expert" and have him exchange the entire electronics..

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hard to say without seeing it, it could be a number of things.

ok, so it's an active bass. If you're consistently getting sound from one pickup and not the other, it's not the battery.
    Sounds like maybe the bridge pickup wire got disconnected frlom the controls. Could you open up the cavity and take a photo?

3. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    thanks for the quick reply. it's the neck pickup that's the problem. a wiring problem sounds reasonable. i dont have a camera right now but i can probably borrow one early next week ill keep you posted.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    right, that's what I get for writing pre-coffee ;)

5. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    actually i just took a look at the electronics myself, the connection to the neck pickup is kinda loose i probably need to resolder it, if i ever get the guts to do that. any how i got it to play just fine now but i dont know for how long... its probably just a tiny bump away from losing connection again.

and david i im pretty sure a photo wouldn't had helped you in this coincidence since the cable is wired, to the pot and looks quite ok.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    right, so it sounds like you need to resolder it. If you have any soldering experience, it's easy. If you have a tech you trust they should be able to do it at a reasonable price since you can pinpoint the problem.

7. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    alright thanks again. i have fair soldering experience i did spend a lot of time soldering some years ago, i don't have the soldering-gear anymore. i probably need to rehash my soldering skills too.