Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck pickup tone

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by badgrandad, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I have an active Carvin bass with a stacked humbuck pickup (looks like a J pup) at the neck position. The tone is really scooped (which some people would probably like, but I want more "beef" and was wondering if lowering the pup would enhance the lows or low mids and or de-emphasize the highs, or if it will just lessen the volume. My back pickup is the MM style and has twice the output of the front already, so I lowered it to match (volume-wise) the front, but the front pup may require removal to take out whatever is below the pup that keeps me from lowering it. Thought Id ask before taking on too much work!

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Lowering a pickup will get you more highs and lower output. If you want more beef, raise it as high as you can without causing "warbling" or allowing the strings to clack against it.

Test drive that for awhile. If it's still not beefy enough, then it's time to look into a replacement pickup.