1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck pickup V. Bridge Pickup V. Both

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EclecticElectrk, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Neck Pickup only

16 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. Bridge Pickup only

16 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. Both together or a Blend

113 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Just wondering how you guys play- With the neck pickup soloed, bridge pickup soloed, or both of them on? I know for different styles and whatnot you use different pickup settings, but i asking in general, which do you prefer? i normally prefer to play with the neck pickup soloed. iplay hard rock/metal mostly. :bassist:
    obviously this only applies to people who have 2 pickups on their bass.

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Both together.

3. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    both pickups dimed, tone about 1/3 full......:D

4. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    Neck full, Bridge about 1/4 and tone full with my jazz.

5. i got a jazz and play with the neck at about a third and the bridge at full

kegtujosh likes this.
  6. 50/50

7. bridge pickup only on a jazz bass (fretted and fretless)

good ol' jazz bass growl:D

kegtujosh likes this.
  8. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    On my Epiphone Ripper, which has one humbucker, I don't have the choice ;)

but on my Jazz I tend to have the volume of the neck pickup at about 8 and the volume on the bridge pickup at about 6. Tone is about 8, too.

9. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Neck full, Bridge 3/4
    I don't have a tone control :(

10. 70 neck 30 bridge, no tone for standard jazz sound, for funk 20 neck, 50 bridge, 50 tone

11. I've got 5 basses so I'm only going to mention 2
    1. 2008 MIA Fender Jazz V - 2 volumes all the way up, 1 tone - all the way up.
    2. 2007 Carvin LB75AP Anniversary - In Active Mode - 1 volume all the way up, Pickup Blend - a little more toward the MM Bridge PUP, Piezo PUP - OFF. Bass at half and treble all the way up, sweepable mids, all the way up.

12. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    I adjust depending on what I'm playing on my Fender Jass fretless.

Most of the time I've got both full on, for a fuller, rounder sound. If I need it to be a bit more punchy I just play harder - I can get an almost "slap" sound like this.

When I'm taking solos I typically turn the neck pickup completely off, so that I come forward in the sound mix, then bring the neck pickup back up fully at the end of the solo (although it can be a bit tricky finding a long note during which I can do that).

Also I find some electro or dance songs do well with a punchy bass sound, so I use the bridge pickup only for some songs. I've been experimenting with just using the neck pickup for reggae but I'm not sure the sound is quite right yet.

13. okTem

okTem

Jul 15, 2008
    Istanbul, Turkey
    On my Fender P Bass Deluxe I don't have the option to tweek the volume levels of each pup. I have a 3 way switch to choose the combination (neck/bridge solo or both) and another switch to choose btw parallel and series signal flow thru the pups.

I use both pups but in series! That is, first the Jazz pup at the bridge, the splits at the neck. Have one tone knob that is set all the way to highs :D This way I get a nice growl with tight lows and singing highs. For slapping, I roll the tone just a bit back, and there we go :bassist:

14. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    My basses all have 2 pups and I almost always go for a blend that's "just slightly off centre" in one direction or the other depending on the song. If I want to punch through more I dial more toward the bridge. If I want more of the 'invisible' quality (which I think of as sitting 'outside' the mix and enveloping/uniting the sounds of other instruments, as opposed to punching through the mix) then it's a little more toward the neck.

15. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    +1

16. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    its all about the Bridge MM pickup! it just growls so hard and kicks u in the face!

but when i use my Jazz, its 100% bridge and like 70% neck pickups

kegtujosh likes this.
  17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    On my four string Jazz with noiseless Fralins, usually neck up full, bridge at about 70%, and tone rolled off about a third. Otherwise, both pickups on full.

On my 2008 Jazz V, both pickups on full is the most common setting, though sometimes I'll roll off the bridge pickup slightly if I'm not getting much single coil hum. I roll off the treble about 60% on this one, because it's brighter than the four.

With the G&L SB-2, it's either neck split-coil only, or neck split-coil up full and bridge pickup at about 70%. I've dimed both pickups only a few times.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    On my Fender Jazzes, I dime the neck pickup, roll the bridge pup back about 10% from max, and dime the tone.

On my Sadowsky, I like the sound I get with both pups dimed. I was hoping I'd like the Sadowsky better with one pup or the other favored, because it has hum-cancelling pups. But I like it best with both dimed. Kind of a shame because it kind of negates the benefit of having the hum-cancelling pups...

19. Depends on the bass, which pickup(s) sound the best to my ears, and my mood.

20. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    i either play with a pickup soloed or a full blend. when you guys say '60% x pickup and 50% x pickup' i dont relly understand, because on both my basses (carvin lb20 and fender geddy lee jazz) i dont hear the pickup's influence in a blend unless it is 100% on. what i mean is, to make that not sound like gibberish, lets say this. i have my neck pickup on 80%. if i slowly raise my bridge pickup, i dont hear any difference in my tone UNTIL ive put the bridge pickup all the way up. and at that point, it has overpowered the neck pickup, so to me it sounds as if its the bridge is soloed. can anyone offer insight into this? or maybe i cant hear the subtle changes is my tone. what do you think?