Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck plate strap button?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I saw a mod on another forum suggesting use of one of the neck plate screws to hold the strap button for an Explorer-type bass. I'm not sure I'd want to do this, since the neck screw would lose about 1/4" of grip on the neck. Am I just being paranoid, or is this a really really bad idea?

2. Like you, I would not be too crazy about losing that extra bit of grip in the neck. Less engagement means a greater opportunity to strip out the remaining part.

Simple solution that lets you have the best of both worlds: take the screw down to the hardware store, and find one the same size but 1/4 inch longer.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks Bill, you know I didn't even think of the possibility of it stripping out. Was thinking more about insufficient pressure and uneven torque. I'll see if I can just find a longer screw then.:cool: