Neck plate?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dean N, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm getting the hardware I need, bit by bit, to put together a Warmoth bass, and I realized I don't have a neck plate! After looking at a lot of bass pics, I've noticed that a lot of the high-end basses don't use neckplates. Is there a reason for this that's not cosmetic? I think it looks better with no neck plate, but I'm not sure exactly how the bolts are installed. Countersunk, hex drive, with washers, maybe? I'm getting my body (swamp ash) already finished from warmoth, and I'm not very excited about drilling into a finished body. So I'm leaning towards installing a neck plate.

Will a neck plate impart more stability to the joint? Oh yeah, I'm trying to find stainless threaded inserts to use with 10-24 size stainless bolts, but even though there's a ton of theads (no pun intended) with links, I'm not really finding a useful link/website to order from. Cliff Bordwell doesn't have any. Does anyone (Rodent, Hambone...?) have some extras lying around that I can take off their hands?

Any advice on the exact insert to use would also be helpful.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    do you (or someone you know) have a business license and access to Grainger? another alternative would be McMaster-Carr.

Here's a couple of leads that may work for your needs:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (item #95807A200 or 90192A114)
    http://www.grainger.com/ (item #4ZU60)

I'm sure others have additional resources for their neck applications. These are excellent for using on an already constructed neck - if you are building a neck from rough materials, then utilizing a Tee-nut could be a much better solution.

I'll note that the McMaster parts are different than what I received from Hambone 18 or so months ago when I experimented with my first inserts. Hopefully Alan and others will be able to share a resource or two here for the searchable records.

one final note: resist the urge to substitute out for a brass fitting. they simply don't have the strength to be used in a bass neck. I did a little experimenting this past weekend with brass inserts, and every single one of them cracked during the install into a piece of hard maple - these cracked using the same drillpress install method I successfully utilize for stainless inserts on a regular basis.

all the best,

R

3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am the director a small business by the way. Does Grainger only deliver to business addresses (sorry, didn't research it)?

Looks like one of the McMasters inserts is what I want.

I have no intentions of using brass for the neck joint (Warmoth birdseye/birdseye neck BTW). I did however order brass inserts for use in the control cavity cover, pickups, and whatever other little screws I'll need. I plan to overbuild this bass.

I think a useful item to sticky on the board would be a list of links and item numbers, recommendations, comments, etc., for all these little doodads (pickup foam? springs? shielding paint that's not 30 bucks + shipping?). I think I'm having a harder time picking and locating the little things than I did the big parts for my bass! :meh:

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    brass is certainly good for the body installations you note - just be careful when you install them.

I can't answer on McMaster delivery - I always visit in person since they are about 1/2 mile from one of my customer sites I visit on a regular basis.

a sticky of misc parts resources would be a great topic, and definitely one that could grow into a huge resource of parts. I see this being quite useful for those just getting started in this most wonderful 'hobby'

all the best,

R

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    +100

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
  7. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One more question: Any thoughts on using (stainless, of course) threaded inserts for bridge mounting?

8. I've used inserts to replace nearly every bolt and screw except for pickguards. As bridge hardware, it does the same thing inserts would do in a neck. It creates a very compressed and solid attachment. The only drawback is that the location of the inserts pretty much dictates what bridge can be used on that body. If you ever want to change up the hardware, it could be difficult.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021