Neck Plate ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by miguel2u, Jul 8, 2008.

1. miguel2u

miguel2u

Mar 6, 2007
    I have an undrilled neck and body from a Jazz copy. I have noticed that the neck plates for guitars and basses are the same size.

There room on the bass to make a larger and longer neck plate, and possibly adding more screws. I have the tools and materials to make my own neck plate.

Are there any problems associated with using a larger neck plate on a bass?

TIA

miguel

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    What you want is a really strong, firm grip between the neck and body. This will allow for more vibrations (and thus deep tone) to come through. My Schecter C-5 has a 6 screw neck, but then again the classic Fenders have 5.

My advice is to fit the neck ultra snug and tight. Every screw should be very tight with great coupling.

Assuming you have a 'standard' size neck plate, I would do the normal 4, with a central screw for extra bite. This should allow for better coupling and security.

3. miguel2u

miguel2u

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. My plan is to use a plate about the size of a credit card, then go with 6 screws.

miguel

4. Central screw will go directly in the trussrod, that's a very, very bad idea.
    Wondering why every luthier that goes for screwed necks NEVER put a screw near the center of the neck ?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021