1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Pocket gap

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fitzy73, Apr 1, 2009.

1. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    hi , i am putting a precision neck on a jazz body , with the screw holes lined up there is about 1mm TO 2mm gap between neck and body in some places , is this ok or do i need to re drill the neck or fill in the gap .. cheers

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd try playing it as is and see what I thought. If it sets up well and plays well, then leave it. If you think it needs to be seated more perfectly, you can always do the filling-and-re-drilling later.

Or, you can try shimming the gaps. THEN as a last resort you can try redrilling.

I have had several projects where the necks didn't seat perfectly on all sides -- but as long as the bolts held the necks tightly, I didn't notice any problems.

good luck!

ltt

3. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    thanks for the help,its plays really well but i get a buzz on 17th fret on the g & d string

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Lots of good info in setup and repair section that can probably help you with that. But as far as the gaps in the pocket, it sounds to me like they aren't a problem -- they key is that you like the way it plays!

5. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    The gap isn't a problem as long as the neck is solidly connected I think. The most the neck pocket can do is ensure the neck goes straight out from the body.