1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck pocket help please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Groovin_Joe, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hello Everyone.

After a few years of wanting to build my own bass I decided this year to do it. have read many build threads and have got many ideas and tips thank you to you all. There are some amazing builders here. My late father always wanted me to me to build one so this one is a tribute to him.

Long story short I have a body that I am happy with however when I was routing the neck pocket (warmoth neck) I routed it to 3/4" instead of 5/8" and it isn't exactly flat from front to back. I am not great at routing and now I have a problem. It works with the neck, just that the FB extension sits flat on the body, which is fine however the pocket is deeper at the front and thus... well I don't have to spell it out.

My question is... how would you suggest I fix this?

Thank you to all for the help...

Adam

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    1. Glue a piece of veneer and sand id down to the correct thickness, or
    2. Glue a piece of scrap and route again o the correct size.

Maybe somebody will give another (and better) idea but those were the first ones that came out of my head.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    EDIT: Actually you can route the whole pocket to 5/8 and then add a piece of contrasting wood and then route to 3/8 that way you can say that you did it in purpose!! :D

4. Sounds like a good idea... sort of thought of that. This bass has been so long in the making that I don't want to start it again. I kinda freaked out and thought about routing the whole top about 4" wide the entire length and then putting in a contrasting piece... giving it a neck through look and then I could re-do the neck.

But your idea is better. I think I will get someone to help me with it though.

Adam

5. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    What I would do is set it up so it's really level, and pour it level with a good quality epoxy. I don't know that it's necessarily a good idea, but it's what I'd do. ;)