Neck Pocket Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by topper, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Hi, I'm trying to build my own bass and need some advice on routing a neck pocket. I've made one other bass and just free-handed the neck pocket with a router. I got pretty lucky, but am thinking I should take a more systematic approach. The neck I'm using is a Samick Greg Bennit series. It's not a Fender replacement, so I don't think any of the templates (from Stew Mac) would help. Any suggestions? Are there any good sites out there about this?

BTW, if you want to see the project bass visit

(I've moved this post from the Bass Guitar General Forum)
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Then check my reply at the other thread, I'm lazy to retype it again ;)
  3. Thanks! I tried a slightly modified (simpler) version of the steps laid out in

I used that basic process to make a template. The template fits the neck like a glove! Next I'll try using the template to route the actual neck pocket.

4. I clamped the homemade template down, drilled out most of the material and cleaned everything up with a template router bit. It went smoothly, but my neck doesn't fit quite as tightly in the actual pocket as it did in the template. I think this is because the template wasn't cut away on the g-string side the way the actual bass body is. (I'll know better next time)

The fit is still acceptable and a few layers of poly are probably going to tighten it right up anyway.