Neck pocket modification

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dBChad, Sep 4, 2018.

1. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I found locally a used Ibanez body for a great price. The body is completely stripped of all parts and electronics and a bit beat up, but otherwise perfect for a project.

How hard would it be to modify the neck pocket for a 5 string Warmth/Carvin/Mighty Mite or similar neck? It was originally a 4 string. Widening the pickup cavities isn't too big of a deal. My thoughts are that to make a viable parts bass, I need to get a neck fitted to it first. I can then position the bridge by putting all the saddles at the mid point and measuring from the nut to the scale length of the neck and should be able to intonate each string. String width will then tell me how wide to cut out from each side of the pickup cavities to ensure the pickups actually pick up string vibrations.

Ideally, I would find a 5 string PJ to modify, as that's the closest "off the shelf" design to what I'm trying to achieve, but the final pickup combination supersedes aesthetics to me.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Easy peasy. Once you have your neck, make a routing template, rout the pocket, mount your bridge, measure, mark and rout the pickups and go.
    A fiver neck will be wider than the existing 4 pocket, so when mounted in the centre, it will overlap the edge of the pocket in the treble cutaway. You'll only really see it from behind, and probably won't feel it at all.

There's more little details of course, but that's mostly it... :D

83_Silberpfeil and dBChad like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021