Neck Pocket Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petch, May 12, 2004.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    TB'ers please give your opinion on this. My keyboard player's dad wants to sell me his American Deluxe Jazz. It's a 98 or 99 and virtually unplayed- not a mark on it. It basically sat in its case. It needed a fair bit of work by my local repair guy to straighten the neck out. I got it last night and played for several hours. It sounds awesome and is a real looker as well- transparent ivory, tort pickguard, very light colored rosewood board. I had a lot of mojo with the bass. My concern is the neck pocket. On the E string side of the neck where it joins the body the gap is big enough to fit a credit card in. The bass sustains extremely well, so is the gap itself enough of a factor to reject the bass?
  2. If the neck doesn't shift in the pocket, it shouldn't be a problem. I had a StingRay5 that had a gap too, but the neck was stable.
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    It doesn't matter how big the gap is. Most every bolt-on has a gap, some are just too small to detect with your eyes. The size of gap doesn't matter. If the side of the neck is not making contact with the inside wall of the pocket, then a .1mm gap will have the same effect as 1" gap. Stability is the only issue here and frankly that's not an issue for me. The only way the neck will move is if you give it a real good yank, and it still may not move then. And I doubt you have any reason in the world to yank your neck ;)
  4. Try getting the neck to shift. Try moving the neck from horn to horn, if your tuning changes don't do it. I had a 72 Fender Telecaster with Fender's Micro-Tilt neck adjustment (aka 3 Bolt Neck), if you attempted to do any sort of neck bend the whole guitar would shift out of tune. Not that it was a big deal a little whack would put it right back! An annoyance, but one I'd rather avoid. Don't confuse Fender's application of the 3 bolt design with G&L's. Apples and Gorillas there...
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Hold the bass in a clamp and try moving the neck up and down. If you hear a creak, then you don't have a tight neck joint.
  6. Ditto.

7. I agree, if you have a gap, size doesn't matter, but otherwise I disagree. Not every bolt-on has a gap, and the tighter the fit the better energy transfer (punch, sustain, resonance).

If you got a get deal, that's fine ... but the neck-fit is not a detail to be overlooked on a high-end instrument.
  8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I didn't say every I said most every. When you suggest the "tighter the fit" that statement suggests there is a slight gap. There is no in between, no tighter the fit. There's either a gap or the neck is making complete contact with the side wall. And I still say most, including high-end instruments, have a gap be it almost undetectable to the eye or a large one. Just make sure the neck is screwed to the body tightly and you'll get all that is needed.
  9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE