Damn, one of the two things I leave to a professional ends up causing the most trouble. After I got some of the polyurethane out of the loose neck pocket, the tone improved. However, after some rehearsals and one gig, the tone returned to dull, high-less again. I think the higher strain from more intense and agressive playing and the heat from the spotlights might be the culprit, aside from the ususal sweat, dirt and grease filling up the strings. The neck seems to have moved. Also, the fresh strings were only there to cover the underlying main problem. With them breaking in, it resurfaced. Now I'm thinking of removing all the remaining polyurethane from the pocket, and filling up the gap with either 1.) epoxy 2.) wood veneer glued to the walls. I'm open to suggestions. I'll be using epoxy for a fretless neck, too, so supposedly I'll have both at hand ("supposedly" means I'm having trouble finding clear marine grade epoxy, I only found coloured epoxy paint or epoxy glue so far...) Thanks again.