Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck pocket ??'s

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by John Ruiz, Mar 21, 2005.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Hey everybody, I noticed on projectg*****.com that alot of those folks put a slight angle in the neck pocket for action' sake etc. I am not sure how to determine exactly how deep, and at what angle, if any, the neck pocket needs to be for my bass. Visually inspecting the basses I've seen it looks like there is usually about a 1/4 inch of the neck above the body of the bass, and as far as I can tell, it's a flat pocket, but I'd like to be sure in case I am missing something, which is quite possible.

This may have been addressed before, but I wasn't able to find anything with the search function. Could anyone give me some insight into this?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Many of these folks are probably working with Tune-O-Matic bridges that are really tall. In this case, putting in a neck angle will allow you to get lower action on a tall bridge. Most bass brdiges are not as tall and this is not necessary. You can do no neck angle if you have ~ 1/4" of fingerboard and 1/8"-3/16" of a neck step.

3. What I've done is cut a strip of paper and put it down sides of the thin gap of one of my basses and marked it to work that out. I could have taken the neck off, but it's not really necessary.

Regards,

Michael

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    That makes alot of sense, thanks!

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    What about those companies that use something like a Tune-O-Matic for basses (Gibson, Warwick, Alembic)?

6. The angled neck pocket also allows you to have the neck sit deeper in the body. The fretboard doesn't have to rise so high above the body. I'm going to attempt this on a future build I'm planning. If it works well it may become the standard for this particular model. It'll also be a set neck. I think it's a really clean way of doing it.

I believe all of Gibson's guitars are built like that.

The book "Building Electric Guitars" by Martin Koch covers this. This is a great book and well worth the money. It contains a wealth of tips and information for guitar building.