1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck pocket screw holes need moving.......

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Earwaxsculptor, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I found a new 22 fret neck for my Fender longhorn jazz, but the screw holes in the neck are for a Victor Bailey fender body which has a offset 5 screw pattern, my pattern is the traditional fender neck plate pattern. Now since I planned on using steel threaded inserts anyway, can I just fill the holes with wood filler, line the new bolt pattern up, drill it, & install the inserts in the correct place for my neck?

Thanks!

-Jesse

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Filler isn't what you want to use, you want dowels. Hardwood dowels.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    agreed, hardwood dowels are what you want to plug the holes with. something like Maple would be best, but Oak would also work.

you may not need to plug the holes if your insert clearance hole will totally miss one of the existing holes by a reasonable distance

all the best,

R

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021