1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Pocket Too Narrow

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Suntower, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    I just took delivery of this:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Jazz-Bass-Lightweight-Body-Surf-Green-Finish--Blem_p_12056.html

It actually appears as advertised, however, unfortunately, the neck pocket is at least 1/16th to 1/8th too narrow. I'm no luthier, but I've never had a problem with a body before (normally, when I've gotten new bodies I've had exactly the opposite problem --- too much gap.)

More specifically, it appears that the route at the very -bottom- of the pocket (at it's widest point) isn't quite deep/round enough. I -think- it's equidistant (ie. too narrowly cut on both sides.)

So: do I simply return this, or is this something I can correct myself? How would a pro correct this? Sanding block? Dremel tool? Do I remove material on just the 'bass' side or equally on both sides?

I'm no luthier, but I can follow directions and I have some tools. I just wanna follow the correct procedure. I could always take it to a real pro, but it seems silly to drop $100 for a $50 body if it's something I can learn how to do if I'm careful.

TIA,

---JC

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Is it to narrow for a Fender sized neck? Because the necks GFS sells are slightly narrower than a Fender, and there bodies I would assume are cut for their own necks.

3. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    According to their site:

"These have industry standard 2 7/16" wide neck pockets- and can accept fender® licensed necks and our entire line of Bass replacement necks."

Since I wrote my initial post, I matched the neck up with a pickguard off a Fender body and it's clear that issue is on the treble side (g-string). IOW: I was thinking of using that pickguard as a template and just sanding a little bit on the treble side until it matches the opening on the pickguard.

4. This sounds like a good idea, but only if you can't return it. The body is obviously defective.

5. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    Sanding it will be faster...

6. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    If I remember correctly Fender necks used to be 2 1/2 at the heel. Even Warmoth necks, which are licensed by fender, are 2 1/2. I think the modern versions of Fender necks are metric but come out pretty close to 2 7/16. Have you measured the heel of your neck or are you assuming that it is 2 7/16?

Also , how are you determining that it would be an issue only on the G side of the neck? If there is a size discrepancy between the neck and pocket do to one being slightly larger than the other it should effect both sides of the neck or pocket equally because the sides of either would be at slightly different angles do to the difference in width.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Anyone who you would pay to fix it would use a router and a template. I personally would not attempt to address a narrow neck pocket with a Dremel (under-powered) or sandpaper (likely to come out unevenly).

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Using just a pickguard w/o being lined up on a body w/o at least temp strings between the bridge and nut to determine where to take a little off seems a bit 'risky'.

9. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Nov 12, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm fairly certain that you can't return the 'blem' bodies, as they're selling them as less than perfect.

I have had VERY good success with a square cabinet scraper. I padded my vice (towels) to hold it still and then just scraped a little at a time until it got to where I needed it. YMMV

10. Suntower

Suntower

Nov 10, 2012
    Well, I got it figured out. Just a little even sanding did the trick.

NEXT ISSUE: D'Oh! The thing doesn't come with a route from the control cavity to the bridge. How does one ground the pups? They can't expect you to use that old external strip of brass, right?